Genovese Dagger

jfava

Here is a Genevese knife I recently completed. The layout was a nightmare ... while the knife appears to be symmetrical... well it turns out that it really really wasn't.

Hope you enjoy

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beautiful work Jason. I know what you mean when you mention the knife's symmetry; pairs of guns are often out by a millimeter or two and this can really affect layout.

How do you do your pictures? I love the way you present your work from various angles in one photo. Any chance of a tutorial on how you compose the picture?

ARM2

JASON
Exquisite work.
Best Compliments.
We see U are now in Your element, SIRE.
What is the Knifemakers First name ???
Keep up the good work.
Nice Photos with multiple exposures.
All the best.
ARM2

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jason, The engraving is wonderful. While you say the knife is not symmetrical you have created a symmetrical design. The execution of engraving and gold inlay looks perfect. Your layout for the presentation of this piece is a thing to behold. What a wonderful cover for one of the knife mags or a marvelous advertisement for your work-BRAVO all the way round-Fred
PS-It is now the brackground on my computer Thanks

Bunic

Elite Cafe Member
Jason,

WOW! How intricate the design! I love the smaller elements as well. I agree that figuring out the layout would be tough, BUT...you did an amazing job.

Can you give an idea as to how long this piece took to complete, with and w/o the design time?

Beautiful presentation, too! Tnx! for sharing!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jason, I wasn't going to look ........lol .......let alone a comment! On a layout as such do you draw half and tweak? I seem to gravitate to drawing on the piece, then go for it. I'm an old style Dude, lol, an am trying to draw then transfer to change up the process. Do you do a color rendition to see the balance of color when the gold is laid?
I noticed the undulating scroll element starting down along the inlay, excellent transition with the width change.
Thanks, now my head will be swimming with more flowing scroll and vines. lol Beautiful.
Mark

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Exquisite design and execution Jason.

Do you keep track of how many hours it took to do a project? I would be interested if you don't mind saying.

Pleasure seeing the knife.

Thanks for posting it.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Jason, you have been hard at it. Both this and the Kious look great. I am sure you already know this, but seldom are the daggers symmetrical or the same from A side to B side, or have handle inlays that are perfectly centered or follow the outer edge of the knife. Trying to figure out how to compensate for the irregularities and not have people notice the slight changes in design can be a challenge for sure. Well done. Brian

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Spectacular work Jason! Breathtaking to say the least. :thumbs up:

You also bring up a good point which is that symmetrical knives are rarely symmetrical when it comes to mirroring design. In fact I've never seen one that is!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jason your presentation is unique.

I'm curious as to how and if you respond to "how long did it take"?
I have a few answers of my own that I use.

You set the bar for young engravers.
Kevin P.

jfava

Thank you all for the kind words!

Marcus,
I am by no means a professional, but will try my best to do a tutorial on my photoshop for you guys.

Does anyone out there know how to take screen shots of the computer as you work? I see tutorials on photoshop and don't know how they gt the screen pics...
:tiphat:

jfava

This was my first symmetrical knife to be engraved...and YES I did expect it to be correct...lol It was horrid trying to redesign it after half of it was cut....

I have 5 days into this knife... I don't keep track of the hours exactly. just days.
:beerchug:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jason,

This one picture is worth a lot more than a thousand words, thank you for posting at a resolution that gives us maximum value for studying your work!

Excellent in every respect, and inspiring....

Rod

jfava

This is the original drawing I did for the pre planning.

Sometimes I scribble my ideas onto paper beforehand, but even though I still don't transfer.

I use my drawing as a reference and draw on by hand. so I can tweak things as I scribe it in.

In this case I drew the left top side on first, cut the outlines and did a tape pull with wax(as per Sam's method) and mirrored the design... and it didn't fit....

Then I freaked out... lol and tried to put it together as best as I could... I think it worked okay, but I really wanted my original pattern. Oh well, overall I am pleased with it.

Thank you all again for the kind and encouraging words :tiphat:

Best regards

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Jason,
I'm no one to give any computer advise but.......
What OS are you running?
I have a PC with Windows 7.
All I have to do is go into Accessories and click on Snipping Tool.
When it opens you can select the screen and click on capture.
I never could find out how to do it with my older Windows XP but I know it was hidden somewhere. This computer dummy just could not figure it out. I amazed myself that I could do it in Windows 7.
Maybe some of the real geeks can help you out.
Best regards, like everyone else I love the work you have been posting.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On any PC, there is a "prt scr" key somewhere in the upper right of the keyboard. You may have to hold down the shift key to use it. It stands for Print Screen and when you push it, it saves your current screen to your clipboard. You have to then go to the clipboard and save it as a jpg, or import it from your clipboard into your graphics program for manipulation. I don't know if you can save multiple screen shots or not. It works with any Windows operating system clear back to W3.0.

Latest posts

Sponsors