Garage News: Train-the sequel

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If Hollywood can keep bringing back over-age action dudes, I am justified in another run with the train........and they do end up in the saloon. The fight is still going on. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• DSC_0123 (2).jpg
    DSC_0123 (2).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 359

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Lee I was going to just let it pass and not say a word, it is such nice work as always but as you are a professional I think I should point it out. It just sticks out so blatantly I'm sure everyone can see it as plainly as I, I feel it distracts from the essence of the scene. A Black -headed Oriole has never been seen in Carson City :shock:, their closest habitat is at the southern tip of Texas, continuity is important.

Bob

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bob, you just aren't going to let me pretend. It had such wonderful markings..........well let me see I can change the sign, give the bird measles or something on it's head, or tell a story about an Easterner with a pet bird that got loose. It might be worth a public poll.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Every traveler needs a good suitcase and baseball cap.

Attachments

• DSC_0124 (2).jpg
    DSC_0124 (2).jpg
    41 KB · Views: 325

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well you could tell a yarn about some river bottom cows and their Oriole mascot, shipped by train all the way to Carson City. Sounds like a kids book in the making.

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's a yellow-breasted spider snatcher. ok, so he doesn't know stuff ornithological-- i think all must be forgiven considering the quality seen here.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee , I could see a vulture flying overhead of the bar waiting for the next victim to get tossed out the swingin doors!!! the pink color would do for the flesh tone on its head?

Mike Dubber

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry folks ,absolutelly nothing to criticize in this wonderful artistic composition. If you don't like it (as it is presented) may the bird of paradise fly up your nose !!

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Lee I second Mikes comments, I do not know how you accomplish such fine detail on steel. i continue to study and practice from your drawing book and hope to one day to just get my flowers and Flower bouquets to have depth and detail. I am so glad you share your art with us.

Thanks

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
You guys got me there for a minute, I really thought you were of the opinion the my comment was meant as a detraction. I'd be scratching my head if not for Lee's comments.

Bob

Peter_M

Elite Cafe Member
On the Oriole..... we do have them up here.... must be one heading south ;)

Wonderful piece Lee.

Peter

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Thought it was a Black headed Yellow bird! Distinctive in that they are only found in the vicinity of Carson City, Nevada and Carson City, Montana. Most unusual!

Steveareno

Lee, that is about as good as it gets!!!

Red Green,

I feel, there are 4 levels of engraving. But I don’t think you can acknowledge any of the levels, you just want to criticize.

Steve

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, the sentiment does exist. If I say I can recognize the species of tiny bird from a corner of a knife it's negative because I made a joke out of it being out of its habitat. I had no idea engravers were so sensitive about ornithological habitat, somehow I doubt that's the case. I suppose I am just a mean old man (get off my lawn) with a bad attitude. Let me try to make amends, Lee, I am sorry I've made a terrible mistake, on further study I've found that the local robins would dust themselves in the yellow deposits near the railroad depot in Carson City back in the old days and were called Golden Robins by the locals. I do hope you can forgive me for not doing proper research before shooting my mouth off but I am an idiot so it should be expected, frequently.

Bob

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. This thread is heading in an unanticipated direction and affords an opportunity.

I never thought of Red Greens comment as critical. I viewed it as helpful and sincere and above all accurate. It's nice that it was pointed out before going to a collector and I will make some changes. It reminded me of lessons learned long ago.

If you will allow this simple farm boy to wax philosophical and pretend to know something I would like to attempt to make this a teachable moment. The following are not eternal truths but my opinions based on some experience, a bit of training, and a couple of mistakes and successes.

Pride and the public- What we do is unique and it is easy to start thinking that we are wonderful and so is our work since few do it. Mothers have a way of talking that way to us and thank goodness for mothers and their pats on the head. Some days are all fetch and no pat on the head however, everything we do is for public consumption to a lesser or greater degree and being thin-skinned makes for a rough ride. I have learned from every class I taught and I was considered the expert. I try to live by the motto-be pleased with the work but never satisfied. The day you think you have arrived....you have. You will never get any better. One trip to the hospital and one's pride is gone anyway.

Scenes-Scenes are a bit tricky and much more difficult than a single animal or figure with some grass and trees. Each element must be accurate in harmony with all of the other elements in perspective, proportion, and lighting just for starters. It is a wonderful goal and not for the faint of heart or beginner. Walk into it gradually and realize it is quite complicated.

Research-Scenes require a lot more research and design time. I can think of three approaches I could have taken with the train.
1-The name on the sign could have been a generic non-descript place, Dry Gulch, Warm Springs, or Red Rock. These could have been anywhere and covered up a lot of potential questions, think cute little bird here.
2-The bird could have been a generic, colorful songbird. I'm flattered that I rendered the bird accurate enough to be identified as a specific species. I saw a picture of a beautiful bird with wonderful markings that would look good on a branch. I wasn't trying to do that specific bird per se. I changed the pose and used the bird in the photo as a suggestion. It just so happens that .......well you know the rest. Suitcase and baseball cap are probably not acceptable as a finished product.
3- Be more careful making sure everything-train,building architecture and materials, plants, animals, and terrain are all consistent with each other. Did I mention multi-element scenes are much more time consuming and difficult.

Details-I am talking about the details for the selected items that have already been researched and screened. For example, one may have determined that cowboy boots are appropriate but one does not need to be able to read the tag to know whether they are Justins or Tony Lamas. I purposely engraved the people on the boardwalk without detail. It is not necessary and it helps to place them in shadow and bring out the real focal point-the train. In a scene with trees and mountains, forget the detail on those that are in the distance. The suggestion is sufficient and adds to the felling of depth.

Enjoy the ride and laugh at yourself. I suspect a Higher Power must do that a lot when looking down on us. Last of all, cherish the wonderful associations with all of us oddballs. The world is full of helpful, terrific people. Maybe I will start doing dragons and mystical creatures again. No one knows what they looked like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors