From picture/drawing to vector image in less than 1 min

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok this is a sample of what can be done. You can take a picture of scrollwork and convert it to something useful. I made this really quick. Once I have make more vectors. Ill make a full tutorial. If any of you have any questions I'm glad to help out.

Please keep this post to how we can contribute and even expand this idea.

I am about to get a webcam from my brother once that is set that up we can video chat who ever is interested.(free of charge, won't charge you to learn what I know)

There is more than one way to skin a chicken. ( had to rephrase it don't want to insult any animal lovers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSX5eMGlHA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
After processing with Vector Magic are the black lines filled shapes or are they single vector paths with editable control points?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After processing with Vector Magic are the black lines filled shapes or are they single vector paths with editable control points?

Sam thank you for your interest.

Editable control points all along the lines. Even if there is no point one can be added if I remember correctly with the program.(flexi sign pro)

Vector magic just makes the vector to edit the vector you would need a different program I use flexi sign pro.

This might help.

Carlos De La O III

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370821610418.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370821610418.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Before I dump $295 into vector magic, does anyone know of a cheaper way to do this?

I have photoshop and illustrator.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Vector Magic used to have a less expensive online version as well.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty impressive. Most bitmap to vector converters I've used are rather lacking in the quality of the vector that's generated, and being in the cad/cam jewelry business I've tried alot of programs.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's pretty impressive. Most bitmap to vector converters I've used are rather lacking in the quality of the vector that's generated, and being in the cad/cam jewelry business I've tried alot of programs.

Now of the original size snd quality of your original comes into play... the larger the better the image

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've used auto trace but it does not work as good when it comes to full color pictures.

Carlos De La O III

Andrew Biggs

Now of the original size snd quality of your original comes into play.

These are the magic words........... The quality of the original is paramount. If the quality of the scan/import picture is poor, then the vector will be poor. The complexity of the design is also a consideration.

Depending on the program you use to auto trace and vectorise, some will take a line and make it double sided. In other words have a left and right hand line, so node editing is not all that simple.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well said Andrew the end quality does have to do with what you have to start but veector magic as other editing functions I have not showed yet...will post later the beers are going down. They taste like the best I've ever had. ( where have I heard that before) don't worry I don't have to work tomorrow I'm off for the next two months and a half.

I will post some further videos when I have a chance I'm just grateful that I can contribute to this great forum and thank you all for your help.

By the way I'm posting all this to my phone using a great app I don't work for them just my two cents worth. Its called tappatalk.

Carlos De La O III

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
VERY , VERY INTERESTING, ANDREW.i'll certainly keep this in mind. i'm sure many others will too. thanks for doing this.

Andrew Biggs

Hi carlos

Does this do a center line trace, which is what I think Sam was eluding to????. In other words, generate a true centre vector line so there is no left and right hand lines. Hope that makes sense :)

From memory, CorelDraw, in its earlier versions, had this included in its auto trace features. Then they dropped it because it didn't work very well. But of course technology and computer programs have come a long way since then.

Cheers
Andrew

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Andrew

From what I understand it does not create an exact center line. But if you were to import this to Microsoft illustrator there you can make your lines thinner or thicker as you please
Carlos De La O III

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm curious as to why you guys worry so much about the vector vs. rastor art formats? What is it that you do with the vector based output that you have trouble doing with your artwork in photoshop, or another rastor based tool?

I'm just asking because I do a lot of graphic work, but rarely is vector conversion required. Even taking illustrations down to small sizes, blowing them up, whatever, vector really only comes into play if your using a digital output tool (printer, screen maker, etc.) that has to identify paths to drive the tool in some form or format.

Am I missing something here on what you're doing with the artwork (Likely I am, hence, the asking)? Thanks all.
br.

Sponsors