Announcement: Free tracing vector HD video tutorial

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It isn’t my intention to shoot pigeons that are flying lower than Sam’s ones.

It seems however that the wind changed direction when it comes to the importance using software like Illustrator when working on designs for engraving.
Most of you will remember how I was a sort of Don Quichot chasing windmills while I just tried to point on the use of vectors, especially for the novice engravers.

I don’t have Sam’s last video yet, sure I’m curious to find out how he does the tracing.
Anyway, I uploaded a video tutorial on 11 Dec 2010 that should be the first part of a series.

I can make more video tutorials if there is enough interest. And that doesn’t mean I’m hijacking Sam’s, but it could be great to see the different approaches for those who finally have an open mind for using software.

By the time I was the only one promoting vector software, I was told it was OK for some purposes, but not for design, software could not replace the pencil. And it took me a lot of time to agree….but it has become more important to me when working on the backbone.
Then printing that backbone in very light grey at big size, making several designs with the pencil, not even precisely but the way Lee Griffiths shows on his DVD. Then scanning and using PS to tune it in 10 seconds so it can be printed using a toner printer for transfer.

So the ones who are interested in a complete video tutorial on design using both pencil vectors and pixels, let me know.
And as using software, all can be done in 10 different ways, one could have them all.

arnaud

If you watch my video tutorial, don’t forget to maximise it full screen and the highest quality

[video=youtube;6b-VuzaIEKg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b-VuzaIEKg[/video]

Last edited:

zmankay

Arnaud,

I wanted to thank you for not only this current tutorial but also for all of your previous videos and drawings that you have shared with us over recent years. I also wanted ask whether you do your drawing revisions in Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop? Unfortunately I have Corel X5 and your tutorial is created for Adobe users, so I was wondering what to buy in order to follow your tutorials.

Thanks once again,

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, thanks for your comment, my advice is , uninstall whatever vector design software that is on your computer and force yourself using Illustrator.
It is the standard on vectors design, so a waste of time using and learning all the other softwares

anrdau

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Illustrator is the bane of my existence. And yet necessary too :(.
I keep thinking I can get away w live trace, but ultimately I feel I just give myself more work.

mrthe

I had see your video months ago , is great! thank you !
PS:
Sam had make a dvd where explain drawing in vectorial?

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Arnaud for the video. This is very good informative and easy to follow! I have always enjoyed seeing your vector drawings. Hope to see more.
Gary

Andrew Biggs

Hi Arnaud

You're still tilting at windmills. :)

My best advise for any novice wanting to learn the art of engraving and wishing to improve their design skills, is to use pencil and paper. This, more than anything else, will help develop the skills that you need to become a good engraver. The computer can give you instant results but will actually stifle your long term growth and imagination. You will be limited by your computer skills and dumbed down to the level of the computer.

There is no doubt that the computer has it's uses and is a great tool for certain things. .....................but that is all. I would highly recommend to any novice engraver to learn how to use a pencil first and then the computer. Develop your eye/hand skills and that, more than anything else will put you well ahead of the game.

Cheers
Andrew

Roger B

Elite Cafe Member
"my advice is , uninstall whatever vector design software that is on your computer and force yourself using Illustrator."

With all due respect and not wanting to take away from the great tutorial that Arnaud has supplied but I just checked online for the price of a full Illustrator programme - $599 if I get it through the US website and over $1000 through the Oz website (don't worry about currency conversion as we are so close to parity it doesn't make any difference). I've heard that we get taken advantage of on software etc in Australia but I wasn't aware by how much. I think I'll be sticking with Corel for the time being.

No need to reply to this post - please take this as a comment as I don't want to hijack the thread.

Thanks,
Roger

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger, this is not a reply on your post and sure you do not a hijack on my tread.
If you feel comfortable using Corel, why skip using expensive software? Only make that step if you feel you need it.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I think we will never agree on that. I sure know how to handle a pencil and I do daily, but only for those purposes I cannot do using software.

arnaud

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the time and effort for the tutorial Arnaud. I learned a few things and it was very helpful.

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whatever graphics program you use, you still have to develop a design to create a more perfect transfer so I always start with a sketch or pencil drawing so I have a starting point. In the tutorial Arnaud posted,this is what I saw.Just remember that it is only a tool but thanks to modern technology it is a good one to have in your box!!!!!

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for this. Yes it a help :)

If you don't mind, i would like to add some thoughts to you and Andrew ...

If i am not able to draw a bird, a lion, a horse or whatever, then I have to practice – again and again. Without skill in that field it doesn’t matter, what “tool” I use. Neither super-duper software nor the best pencil on the finest canvas could help me out on that. So what?

A pencil sketch can be done in a very short time – good for some jobs. You can carry the pencil with you. If you need it, it is there for you and you are in business. That is true so far – but today there are new possibilities – with the same results. And I mean the same results! I have seen people using their cellphone and their fingers to paint a scene on that little screen in less than five minutes. And they do it well. The results argue for themselves.

Like most of us I am familiar with a pencil and color pencils also. I used them since I was a child. Because of that I am “able” to use them, but this doesn’t assure I am able to paint an elephant, does it? Let’s go to the near future, maybe fifteen or twenty-five years into the future. Perhaps people will ask “What? You are still using a computer to do your composing’s? Why don’t you use the brain-interface?” ….or something like that ;)

One that point I am with you. Another thing is the charm a pencil sketch can have – composed from virtuosic handling of the pencil to small personal inadequateness, those little mannerisms, which makes some drawers so distinctively and their works irresistible. Further the pencil-work can help me (I hope) to go advanced someday – to draw (or perhaps engrave) directly onto the metal.

This it is, where I like to go: "painting" in metal while cutting tiny little chips away

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mario

Why don’t you use the brain-interface?” ….or something like that

That's good!! I like that :)

You are correct. Photoshop (or whatever) is wonderful thing to compose scenes with. There is certainly a big difference between drawing a design/scroll and drawing animals/scenes. The skill it takes to draw living things is something very few acheive.

Cheers
Andrew

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A contrasting opinion that I ran across:

Far more musicians buy sheet music to play than those who compose their own songs. Some engravers practice and develop their drawing skills while others are content to use designs from books,
Sam Alfano

Latest posts

Sponsors