Frank Hendricks/Weldon Lister collaboration

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a Colt Texas Ranger Commemorative which the late (and great!) Frank Hendricks started but never finished before he passed (this is the fourth one of these I have done now!). The gun was sold by the clients estate & the new owner commissioned me to complete the work which was about 50% done.

There's a whole lot going on here & some of it was technically challenging to say the least! For example, the Eagles on either recoil shield....they were completely done with all the detail & everything, and just needed to be set in place....you figure out how to do that without disturbing/deforming the gold and ruining the detail! I did it but I sure would have liked to have asked Frank what he was thinking!?!....:thinking:

The raised inlayed gold lines inside the scroll are deceptive too....at first glance they look pretty easy & they are ....until you get down to that squiggly little end....whew!

All in all, it was a lot of fun & very educational. Along with completing the engraving I did the French Grey & the fire bluing as well.

Thanks & hope you enjoy,
Weldon

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 395
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 396
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 734
  • 046.jpg
    046.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 404
  • 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 006 - Copy.jpg
    006 - Copy.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 396
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 402
  • 023 - Copy.jpg
    023 - Copy.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Colt SAA

Weldon,The Colt is going to looks great,the client will be very happy,keep up the good work.:thumbsup:J.J.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Whow what else can I say. Thanks Weldon
PS if you miss eating smoke come on up to Colorado;)

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice

The hardest jobs of any kind I have ever done have been finishing or repairing something that was started by another. You work shows off your talent as spectacular!

scott99:tiphat: :clapping: :clapping:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
That is outstanding, Weldon. I would be interested in hearing how you solved the problem of installing the gold inlays without distorting or damaging them. I am always interested in the solutions that talented engravers come up with for the problems that arise in a project.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh, and Weldon, is the whole eagle's wing part of the loading gate? If so, COOL. If not, how did you hide the line so well, and also, COOL!

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks to all for the kind words!
Mike & Ed: I created the cavity and used the edge of the steel to crimp in and down on the gold instead of trying to make the gold conform to an undercut.....which was (at least in my mind) about all I could do. The gold had to fit the pocket precisely and there was no opportunity to move the gold, only the steel which made it challenging to say the least. Hope that is explained well enough.
That kind of thing is what makes it hard to pick up a project in mid-stream and continue on....we all have our favorite way of doing things & our own concepts......making it tough in the next guy!
The Eagle on the loading gate spans over the joint which after much consideration, is how I think it was supposed to have been done. The upper part of his wing rests in a pocket but doesn't actually touch, it's a hair above so that there is no impact to the gold wing when the gate snaps shut. This was the most worrisome side for obvious reasons!

The pics show a progression of the loading gate Eagle pocket....

Weldon
Thanks,
Weldon

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I should add that it has been quite an honor for me to have been selected to finish this work (and the other three I did as well).

For those who may not know: Frank Hendricks was a true world-class Master engraver, FEGA founder & President, teacher, artist, etc, etc, etc....... And again, for those who may not already know this; during the late '60's through the early 70's my dad worked as an engraver with Frank. So... as a little boy (from about age 6 and on), I was in and around the shop hearing the tap, tap, tap of the hammers.....So, for me to get to do these projects is extremely humbling to say the least!

Latest posts

Sponsors