Critique Request * Fine Scroll practice

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My previous tread on this subject get a bit large, so to prevent losing the overall view I start a new tread.

The designs already is criticized by you and finally applauded by Marcus.
Here are the designs and my latest attempt to cut FS.

I’m quite pleased with the result thanks to all your help in particular Marcus Bram Layne Ray and I probably forget some others. sorry for that.

I made the white space on the scrolls less wide and the leaves now are longer like Bram suggested.

I still do not have the round ball in the center like Bram pointed on, see the previous tread on the subject, But to me this example is a bit different than what I’m trying to master.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As I experienced some gaps on this design, I added some more scroll, I hope I learned it well and that they now flow the right direction

arnaud

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,whatever you finaly call the style it will still look good to me. Nice job, and I like the way you have made this a study of the work.

scott99

didyoung

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
a small suggestion would be to take another look at the structure of your backbones.
it might make it easier for you to add leaves if your backbones are reworked.:drawing:
just a thought.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is my latest one, and I don't think I can bring it to a higher level without help, book, DVD. :(

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the result. :biggrin:

I will cut the other designs and then I will go for the real thing. :biggrin:

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Only critique I'd say is less shading. I think you over did it a bit. You really only need a few very small lines on the first couple of leaves.

I would definitely suggest getting the book, DVD, and castings when they become available. It will shed tremendous light on this subject. I personally get more out of studying the castings then anything else.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bert, yes you could be right about over shading, thing is you only know that when you are over the top.
And yes I made a pre order on the book, DVD, and castings, but I can't wait for that.

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand. It's a very nice progression you've made. Certainly passable. Average person doesn't know the fine nuances like engravers. Your client should be happy with this when used in a jewelry application

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another thing when looking at my Ti practice plate, it looks much better even with an optivisor X2 than on the photo. The real thing doesn't show that much overshading.

I experienced that problem more often when making a real macro photo.

arnaud

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes. That is something I learned from the casts. They looked incredible to naked eye, yet when viewed under a scope or loupe were kind of rough looking.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's a big difference about macro vs naked eye. I think in general we tend to over do the job when high magnification is involved.

That's something I've learned engraving firearms. I've stopped using my scope. It slows me down too much and I over shade the scrolls. Covering large areas is totally different than doing small jewelry items. I'm not saying I put less effort or quality into the work. I just try to scale the engraving to the piece I'm working on.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bert for letting me know what you see under the scope when looking at the casts. Marcus better should hurry once he got back his health. :biggrin:

I understand you are curious but it isn't for jewelery.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well guys, I don't know what popped my head but I think I got it. :cool:

This is enough for today on a free day as it is a holiday in Belgium.
Could be it doesn't respect all EFS traditions, but I did build that much muscle memory that I almost can do this with my eyes closed.

It still need shading and the outside work, but that isn't the hard part.

arnaud

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
I like couple of scrolls need the centre finish
but thats just nit picking . Like it very much today Belgium tommorow England ha!ha! Look out marcus
I would have a word with boarder control and let them know he's coming.
Ray

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking nice Arnaud. The places you are deviating from English scroll are these. Add shade lines where the main body of a scroll comes off another for the first two or so tendril/leaves.
The Cut to make each leaf is made with 2 cuts and it looks like you are doing that. The second cut is a bit more of a teardrop in order to define the head of each leaf/tendril. Leave the small "shade" line off of a tendril here or there in order to break up repetition. Also instead of forming a Tendril with two cuts for every one, leave off the second cut every couple of tendrils in order to form more of a leaf. These have no head. Outside of those observations, I think it looks great. Marcus would have to give you a proper critique. I'm only basing this critique off of the rules as I know them.
Here is a pic of some that I did that seem to be pretty correct. As you can see, it's tiny stuff. These are a bit too small but close. At a certain size over 6mm it gets hard to cut the tendrils with two cuts. At this level everything looks a bit rough but at eye level looks right. Not as clean or pretty blown up as what you have done, but by the rules. If I remember correctly I got a "looks quite nice" comment from Marcus on these which is more than I ever expected.
Layne
IMG_1721.jpg

Last edited:

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Ray, indeed there are not only some of the scroll ends that need an few cuts more, there are also at least 5 leaves on the right one on top that need the second cut.
It is because of my excitement that I just didn't see them anymore, now that I'm home I can't make the corrections. Also some other cuts need an extra pass and precise tuning.
Those two last ones I did cut them in 1 hour, so paying a bit more attention sure will pay off.

arnaud

Latest posts

Sponsors