Engraving system from china any good for a beginner

Bigarmedmike

Hi although I've worked on the bench making jewellery for years I am only now thinking of going into the pneumatic engraving, I have been scouring the Internet to see what would be the best machine to start with, I've come to the conclusion either an airgraver or GRS system, you can buy grs in the uk but the price in dollars you pay in the US is the same price we pay in the UK but in pounds so may be cheaper for me to import from US, whilst on the net I also came across a system from china that looks similar to the Gravermax but a bit cheaper I was wondering if anyone has used one and whether they are any good?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've seen them and I've tried them. They are garbage. Don't waste your money. If you ever have trouble or need parts you're out of luck. My advise is to put that money toward a system you can rely on, not some reverse engineered Chinese knockoff junk.

Gil

I have to agree with Sam and Brian. I too bought my Gravermax around 1991 and it still runs fine. I did have to "re-plumb" the internals of it a couple of months ago when some of the tubing finally dryed out and cracked, but I figure that's not bad for 21 years of regular service!

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Charlie Barnett at 403 394 5506 has a Gravermax for sale. He has upgraded. Give him a call.

Bigarmedmike

Thanks again everyone, I'm glad I joined this forum it has been very helpfully and informative and I'm currently scrolling thought the tips archive which are great. Thanks again

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a Gravermiester that is a 1980 model-upgrade speed about 10 years ago. Been using for years. They are selling pretty cheaply now as everyone wants the others. Fred

Andrew Biggs

I agree with Sam. Don't touch the Chinese knock off because that's what it is. I saw one and had a play with it in Hong Kong last year. Handpeices overheat and melt and it's a complete dog.

Besides, it's a blatant theft of someone else's product!!!

Cheers
Andrew

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Besides the GRS and Lindsay tools, there is also a new one, the En-Set, I have been testing.
I used a GRS GraverSmith for 3 years and I still like that one and recently I ordered the En-Set. It can do some things like very low speed (one hit at the time) other are not able to do.

Must say the GraverSmith is a low budget controller not many engravers use, but in a way it is just the same as the GraverMach or GraverMax.

arnaud

Last edited:

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Well,cant be theft,if its junks as you said.

Must be made differently.

Also,I wonder about people using Native American,and Native Alaskan signs.

I think we should strive for our own styles.

Also,not using symbols indiscriminately,as could offend an peoples.

mike

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I see, so you are of the opinion that an artist should be limited to symbols and ideas from the culture of their ancestors?

Bob

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
If you somehow believe that the engraving that Mr Biggs does does not celebrate, revere and promote the Maori culture and history, then you are caught up in a very sad world. Hopefully you will one day be able to see past the veil.
While I agree that using Native American and Alaskan symbols, as well as any other cultures symbols, can be done in a hurtful and disrespectful manner, AND SHOULDN"T BE, the act of using them is not in and of itself wrong, in my opinion.
How can you copyright a symbol, myth or story that has been in the public domain for a few hundred years? Don't think it's possible, but maybe you could lawyer up and prove everyone else wrong. In this PC world it wouldn't come as a complete shock.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Wow,that was taken in the extreme.

How many natives are getting the sports teams and schools from using them.

Just because we think its a righteous portrayal or usage,doesn't make it so.

I never commented one way or the other about what Andrew does.

Its not for me to say,but the Maori.

For all I know they hired him to be their PR Person/Liason.

Mike

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I am a firm believer in equal rights for every person on this planet. Equal not special, would I get something from a sports team called the Raging Scotts? Why would an artist need to justify his work as ethnically 'righteous' to anyone,?

Bob

frank h

OK then let's come full circle back to the original point. those machines are no longer protected by patent. this puts them in the public domain. that's how the process works. a patent is a teaching document so that anyone can make or reproduce the product after it's patent protection is up.

Therefore those machines are in the public domain and no one has blatantly stolen anything. Also the jury is still out on native symbols when it comes to public domain copyright as well as the culture of those native people as it relates to their legends and myths as well. It isn't only a matter of whether the use in inappropriate or disrespectful. those designs define a people. those people in today world use those designs and symbols to make art today jewelery paintings and more. those are protected design which are derived from the same source as ?Andrews designs . so is it blatant theft of others designs? I don't know but it's not as cut and dry as the example of the knockoff machine which is not theft but perfectly legal.

Frank

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
All symbols came from a native people no matter where they originated. If any symbol can be claimed as usable by only one specific ethnic people then all of them should also be restricted, and then we must consider purity of blood. I suppose mutts like me have no rights of usage at all in your world.

Bob