Engraved Lion Progression

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While getting ready for my upcoming drawing and engraving scenes and animals class,I took a series of through the microscope lens photos of a Lion I am engraving for a client. I wanted to show how Progress through engraving an image for my students. I have always stated that drawing is primary to any form of art work that you might do. I was taught to develope the whole image and not do one element and then another element as i draw. I engrave the same way as I like to develope the whole animal so I can see what I am doing as i go along. I am also not after a photographic style of engraving as I as in my drawings have always felt that you show the working hand of the artist
Hope you find this interesting.

Marty

fabio 1.jpg fabio 2.jpg fabio 3.jpg fabio 4.jpg fabio 5.jpg fabio 6.jpg fabio 7.jpg fabio 8.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I forgot to mention that most of the engraving was done using my optivisor and not the microscope. I find for me that the microscope is too restrictive in it's field of view and I can just see things better without it. After all it will be viewed with no magnification anyway. The microscope I use to help accurately transfer the image and when I get down to fine details. I work usually from larger to small as I go along.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, if you can get me to do that, I want to see you walk on water as your second miracle.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What graver geometry do you use for this type of work?

Thanks for taking the time to photograph the progression. Your work is awesome!

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow! That's incredible. Lots of good info in your progression. Thanks for sharing. I think this belongs in the tips archive.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The tools I used are a 90 and a 105 graver for the lion. For the recessed background I used a flat graver and stippled with a faceted point in a Maestro handpice. The lion was a combination of simple hand push or using a monarch handpiece.

Walking on water is easy if you know where the rocks are. :tiphat:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:clapping:Very nice work, Marty! The lion portrait is not like 100% photographic look, but I guess with line & crosshatching the work goes a bit faster? Greetings, Paulie

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"Walking on water is easy if you know where the rocks are..."

Marty,

This is a generous and valuable post for us to absorb, and best of all, it comes from someone who has been teaching fine arts for decades, as well as a master engraver! I carry a fond memory of looking over your shoulder during a GRS social weekend, before you were to spend the week with Alain Lovenburg. Timid, and not wanting to disturb your concentration, you answered my apologetic request..."Might I watch your technique for a moment, from a respectable distance?" You encouraged me to come in close, almost in your face, and chatted happily as you cut, explaining as you proceeded, telling me that you had developed your own approach to bank note and bulino style, and now you were ready to put it all on the back burner, and look anew when Alain's class started. To get maximum value, over the weekend you had two plates for Alain's exercise, the first you were cutting over the weekend using your own approach. You would then put that plate, and all your thinking aside, surrendering entirely to Alain's approach and methods. Your aim was to end the week with your two plates to compare one to the other, the better to expand your approach. I was totally fascinated as I watched you work and chat at the same time, and I also felt quite privileged. Work compelled me to go back to my bench after the weekend, yet I know your week produced great results.... you had a casting of the plate at the Reno Show!

Thank you for all of that, Marty.

I know your students are going to have a great drawing week, and good luck to you all!

Rod

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I love progression shots, Marty, and this is excellent! It's great seeing the transformation to finished product. Beautifully done and thank you for taking the time to share the photos!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Good Morning all

Thanks for all of your kind comments and PM's. I'm going to be making a mold of the floor plate today and if all goes well I should have a decent casting of it to post tommorrow so you can see how the Lion fits in with the engraving and give you a sense of scale to it's small size. While the through the lens shots are great it does leave out many engraved lines and doesn't really show how it all blends together.

As an interesting note on this particular Lion. My client sent me a photo of a Lion he loved and I hated it and refused to do it. I thought the his mane, which was a painting, made him look like FABIO. After send back and forth numerous pictures of Lions that I liked he finally admitted he could do without the mane but really liked the face. That was my opening to combine Lions which i did. I do have the before and after pictures to show my drawing class. This is just another example why drawing is so important besides its honing your motor skills.

Sam it will be interesting for me to see how you approach your design class while we are out there together teaching in a few weeks.

Incase anyone might be intersted I believe there are still a few openings in my class.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here is a casting of the finished floor plate so you can see how all the elements fit together. Thank you for all your kind words.

floorplate.jpg

Sponsors