Engraved Harley Davidson Softail Project Completed

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
This is the engine (for the righteous "My Ol' Lady") I posted a couple of months back ... installed and running well with 400 break in miles to date. The exhaust heat shields are new and were installed today.

I would like to thank Brian Powely for his great recommendation to use Custom Chrome of Grafton, Ohio.

The folks there were awesome and did a spectacular job plating the heat sheilds. They had them back in one week. They did a flash copper triple plate.

Also would like to thank Tira for "Tira's Tips" ... I wasn't sure what she meant when she said to watch out for the "compound curve" on the heat shields until I got to the "elbow":) . An interesting challenge indeed. I just had to make sure my scroll had no horizontal cuts in that area.

As for the Magnum handpeice which I bought to complete the heat sheilds ... that thing plowed a 120 graver deep through the mild steel. It's performance really exceeded my expectations. I was able to finish the long heat shield in the same amount of time it took to cut the shorter one with the 901 handpeice. I wish you guys would forgive me for my apprehension and cautious approach to buying another tool darnitt!!!

For the scroll background, I used a very rounded off (and very dull) stippling tool to simply displace the metal. I would have preferred dot punching to match the engine but a large dot punch really requires a good whack with a hammer and I wasn't quite sure if I'd get a dent along with that dot.

I used my usual high tech parts holding aparatus ... a bag of corn cob (Burberry's pattern of course), The steel is mild enough to not really have to worry about rotating the piece. For some difficult spots, I just held the heat shield in one hand and let the Magnum push the 120 through the cuts.

Well, a bunch of you guys were looking forward to seeing these photos of the finished project so here they are .... enjoy!!

Chris

------------------

-----------------------

------------------

Last edited:

SharpGraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris That looks awsome. whats this about compound curves? I'm abour to do my heatshields and would like to be prepared for as many surprises as I can. I don't have that much hair left HaHa. I'll soon need some balding wax.

keykeeper

Wow, the heatshields really set off all the engine engraving. Very nice. So....when were you gonna tell your pal you got them back from the platers? ;)

Can't wait to see it up close, when you drop by the house.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chris

That looks awesome!!!! You and the owner must be very happy with it.

Good call on the dot punch.......on soft material it can definatley displace metal if your not really careful

Cheers
Andrew

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
NICE!!!!!!!!!
Awesome job Chris. The heat shields came out great. I'm a huge fan of black paint with a good dose of chrome to begin with and in this case it really directs the attention to the Evo and pipes. Are you gonna bring it to Reno? ha-ha Seeing the bike makes me want to work on the "Mann" project! Great work buddy.

David

tengraver

Stunning!

What a tasteful way to cover large areas. Very nice.

I noticed all the pics are of the right side, what does the left look like?

You are truly Blessed!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And just think, when it gets dirty it will actually look better with the dirt acting as temporary blackening of the lovely engraving.

You know, I still see some plain ol' shiny areas...
;)

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That really looks good Chris. You should be very proud. Now your going to be afraid of getting it dirty.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Chris, that is amazing and I thought shotguns took a lot of time. Just one question? Where is the babe in the bikini?

Ed

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Jim, Ron S., Ron P., Mike & Steve .... thank-you all very much.

I have to say that I'm truly grateful that I actually now own something now that doesn't leak oil!!

This project got a bit out of control. One thing led to another and now I've got something I'd rather look at than ride. However, Jackson County dirt is considered a preservative ... as they say "dirt don't hurt".

David,

I've got some more hair to spare so anything I can help you with please feel free to ask anytime. The "compound curve" is where the round of the shield curves into the inside of the elbow. I compensated here by making the scroll a wee bit smaller and adding a leaf to where the scroll connects that has somewhat perpendicular lines. You'll never cut anything horizontal (to the edge) in there as there's no place for your hand and the graver will only want to go straight into the metal.

I just used a sharpie for the layout and drew right on the heat shields. Erased and redrew when necessary.

Be sure to use a 120 with a at least a 60 degree face and a short heel polished on a procelain wheel. This will give you wide, deep and shiny cuts which will show through the chrome nicely. Also the tip won't break too often ... I think I resharpened only three or four times.

Get your heat shields polished to at least 600 grit and as you work, take it up to 1000. After, hit them against a buffing wheel quick to bring out the shine. The better polish on the metal, the less copper the plater will need to use.

Andrew,

The stippling went so much faster too. I'm still curious about trying a dot punch someday.

An engraver named David Wade Harris down in Texas (Ron S. may know this guy) engraved a set of pipes with scroll for the "Second Amendment Motorcycle". An incredible bike and the inspiration for the engraving you see on this bike. Here's a link to a closeup of his engraving ...

http://www.thesecondamendment.net/big14.jpg

I'm still trying to figure out what he flattened the background with.

David C.

"Black and chrome" .... don't get much more righteous than that my friend!! I'm really looking forward to that project. When you are ready, I'll donate one of my hand crafted, stainless timing covers. It's a nice little canvas and a great finishing touch. We'll see about Reno ... might have this in a million peices again.

Hi Tim,

You are too kind ... at times I think I teeter on the brink of cursed:). You know they say the same thing about sanity as well ... it's all a matter of perspective!!!

The "other" side is just plain chrome. You'll have to wait for next year to see that side. Don't know what I'm gonna do to it yet. There are no aftermarket parts on the left side ... the primary is original. Getting an original that ain't chrome ain't easy. Not sure if I want to strip the chrome. Maybe I'll just do the derby covers. The lower legs will be next as the chrome on those is getting a bit weathered. I've also got the original struts which have been stripped.

The fuels caps will get done in a few weeks. They are 303 stainless made by Landmark Manufacturing. One will be "Sweet" and the other "Sour" ... just for "My Ol' Lady". hehehe

Hey Ed ... babe in the bikini? That's a good question!!! One of those is kinda hard to find out here but I'm lookin'. There's a reason there's a solo seat on this bike ... it's really a deterence for the big ol' gooduns and good ol' biguns. :D

Hey Aaron ... errr "Keykeeper" .... think I'll finally get a date with that hot neighbor of yours?

-----

I haven't done any kind of motorcycle engraving in two years. This is my re-entry into that area and a way to diversify. This is a rolling sales presentation and it's off now to a couple of HD dealerships in the area.

Thank-you all again and if I can answer any questions for anyone, please feel free to e-mail. I'll try to pass on anything and everything I know. There's more than enough engraving work to go around out there so there should never be the need to feel that there is "competition". The more we can help each other, the more quality work that gets out there that people will see and want.

Chris

Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks fantastic Chris. I think the black paint really makes the chrome and engraving stand out. That's a great looking scoot!

Thanks for posting it.

Peter

Dennis Sprague

Elite Cafe Member
CHRIS
Now that is really stunning, And what a business card..How long did you stand there and stare at it
after you finished.I don't think i would have slept that night.Thanks for the pics
Dennis

carl bleile

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, Chris
Beautiful work it realy makes the bike special. I think it needs a little more now that your good at cutting round curved surfaces, nothing to hard just add copper oil lines engrave and plate:D
Carl Bleile
Cincinnati,Ohio
P.S. Don't forget to add and engrave copper fuel line
P.P.S. Be carefull where you park it you may have some missing parts. ( it will be realy realy safe at my shop :rolleyes: )

Latest posts

Sponsors