Announcement: Cutting & Shading Practice - Acanthus/arabesque scroll

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam. Could you please explain the way you shade these similar element? I don't really understand the reason you shade half the leaf heavy and the other half with lighter shading. Also the "densely" shaded areas are on completely opposite sides. I'm trying understand the reasoning behind what you did instead of just hacking away it. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not criticizing, but trying to gain a greater understanding of the logic behind why and how to do it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 254

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To see another example of how that odd leaf can be shaded by Sam go to his web site and look at the Pease knife under knife engraving. Couldn't figure out how to place the image rom the directions. beautiful work.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Mario: superb job! beautifully done! Not much else to say...great graver control and execution :clapping: :happyvise:

Jörmungandr: nice job and I like your modifications and fold-overs. Be careful of the crosshatching...it should be space a little closer together. Nice job though :thumbsup:

Sam

Staff member
Bert: I'm not sure I can explain the reasoning behind the shading other than (to me) it looks better and gives the leaf more volume than simply filling it in with equal darkness. Does that make sense?

Jörmungandr

Elite Cafe Member
Mario: superb job! beautifully done! Not much else to say...great graver control and execution :clapping: :happyvise:

Jörmungandr: nice job and I like your modifications and fold-overs. Be careful of the crosshatching...it should be space a little closer together. Nice job though :thumbsup:

Thank you, I will pay attention to that!

And thanks for the exercise, it was quite a challenge, but very enjoyable :)

//DQ

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam Looks to me like you're showing the shadow cast by the stem, with the leaf section closest to it being slightly darker.

Andrew Biggs

Sam. Could you please explain the way you shade these similar element? I don't really understand the reason you shade half the leaf heavy and the other half with lighter shading. Also the "densely" shaded areas are on completely opposite sides. I'm trying understand the reasoning behind what you did instead of just hacking away it.

Hi Bert

There are different shading styles that are commonly used in all graphic arts.

1. Drop shade.......This is used to bounce something out from the background and make it look like it's sitting on top or above the page/surface. It has a point of origin where the sun would be like 11 o'clock.

2. Cast shade........This is a true lifelike rendition of shading as nature would have it. The sun is at 11 o'clock so all shadows radiate and spread out from that point.

3. Artistic shade.....Has no point of origin and is all over the place and is not lifelike. But.........it gives the appearance of being natural. This is what Sam has in his example. This gives contrast to certain areas of the engraving. It highlights and gives definition to certain areas so that the eye can pick out shapes. If it were to be shaded exactly like nature then it would be very hard to see and define on such a small scale.

You have to remember that engraving lives in a grey world and is tiny. There is no colour or strong light source to help differentiate between objects. So we have to create that definition and that may mean creating different light sources. Although we talk about natural plants and flow etc, in reality we are stylising everything and that includes light and shadow. So we are bending nature to our own artistic thoughts.

It all sounds a bit confusing but in reality is very simple once you understand the concepts. :)

Cheers
Andrew

PS. When I say 11 o'clock, that could be any angle. 11 o'clock is just an example.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Good brightcutting Dimas. The shading could use some refinement but you're on the right track. Thanks for sharing your results with us!

I would like to express sincere appreciation for these exercises. Although I did not participate, I have printed out the examples and will be reviewing/comparing along with my own attempts. I look forward to more exercises as I am able to learn much faster this way. Thank you Sam!

Latest posts

Sponsors