Announcement: Cutting & Shading Practice - Acanthus/arabesque scroll

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam
Thanks for the information. I was working on Engraving a ring design for a customer and the small work is pretty intense so I had to take a break and engraved this for my first try at this practice design. There is allot going on in this design. I think it took me about 3 - 4 hours. I still struggle with shading and seeing the design in my minds eye. Any other info as to improvement is welcome. I will be at the FEGA show and I am looking forward to seeing you and all the other engravers in person. I also want to hear you playing your banjo and guitar I hear you are as good at music as you are at Hand Engraving.
Sam I want to personally thank you for all the support you have given me and others over the years These practice designs are very helpful.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're welcome Bill. Unfortunately I won't be at FEGA this year, but there will be plenty of good music there I'm sure :)

~Sam

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to visiting with you. Hope to see you at the JCK show later this year. I am getting excited as I took your advice and signed up for one of Blaine Lewis Stone Setting classes. I will be going in the middle of February. I will share my experiences while at the class and hopefully some pictures of my Hand Engraving with a little Bling added. Last year my Hand Engraving Business did real well and I hope to see it do better this year. I have you and others on this forum to thank for all your direction and training.
Hope to see you sometime in the future.

tkelch

Good job tkelch! Some things to consider: watch the startup of your shade lines and strive for an extremely thin taper. That'll improve the transition from white to black. You're getting some good darkness where the lines converge :thumbsup: Also, don't forget to roll the graver to add character to the outline cuts.

You're definitely on the right track, and a very good effort.

Thank you Sam for taking the time to look and to comment I will work on tapering my lines

Tom

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Here is my effort, I struggle a bit cutting parallel long curved lines, :rolleyes: I did ink it to get the contrast for the photo,
thanks for looking,

Richard.

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 542

Sam

Staff member
Really nice job Richard! You have nice transitions from light to black which is good, and a nice taper on the startup of your shade cuts. You've also beveled the outline cuts beautifully...really nice work :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Caty Blom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam, here is my creation, I must say that I found it difficult had really done it first with pencil on paper, but in real life stabbing is yet again different. Thanks for the exercise, greetings Caty.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam, I try to remember all the tips and tricks that you and other members so generously share with us, thank you all, I think I am slowly improving,

Richard.

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
And here is my attempt. This one was probably a little bit too complicate for me, but funny?...Ohh yeahh:)

Thank you Sam for putting out this fantastic drawings for us newbies.

Regards

Jørn-Ove

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 558

Sam

Staff member
Caty: Can you post a photo with more detail? Kind of hard to see your lines in the small photo, but it's looking good :)

Jørn-Ove: A good attempt by you, too! Watch the direction of your shade lines so they carefully follow the growth of each element. And pay special attention to crosshatching to avoid any irregularities. :thumbsup:

Adder

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam for taking the time and effort to give me feedback to my attempt.

As I say, I am a newbee and have a long way to go, so with more practice and studying of drawings and pictures from you masters, it probably gets better:drawing::graver::pencil:

Sincerely
Jørn-Ove

diego0808

Mr .Carlos :Veo que tiene nombre Latino,me gustan sus videos,seria posible conseguirlo en Español? o que me diga alguno tan bueno como el suyo en Español?Muchas gracias.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sorry Sam, but I just can't get past those elements coming off at right angles! My eyes go straight to them, interrupting the natural flow of the rest of the design. It seems to be a deliberate attempt to make the student learn by giving something not "normally done" to see how they react to it. Just my humble opinion.

Bill

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
I've kept quiet :shock: up to now.
I totally agree with Big-un. That little branch sticking out, NEEDS to be trimmed off. BUT, I think Sam purposely did this as an exercise to aid us in spotting our design flaws and subsequently correcting them, sorta like one of those puzzles in the paper, "What is wrong with this picture?".
If not, maybe he intended to see how many Lemmings followed the first over the cliff before realizing, " Hey, I'm headed in the wrong direction, I don't have to take this route!".
OR, maybe some of our Texican, cowboy humor rubbed of on our neighbor!
:biggrin:
Jeff!

Sam

Staff member
Caty: You did a lot of things right with your design, but some things need improvement. Mainly the direction of your shading lines. Many of them do not follow the growth of the element you're shading. Until I post my version of the finished design (which by all means is not THE definitive way to engrave it), I would suggest looking at Hora's drawing as the direction of his shade lines is excellent. You have some overshoots where lines intersect at leaf tips, so be extra careful in that area. Go really slow and strive for a perfect intersection. You did well though and I hope you'll give it another go!

Sam

Staff member
I know some of you are in disagreement with the leaf I have growing off the side. That's great actually! It shows you're thinking as designers and not just engravers. It's not something put there to trip you up or confuse you. If you study enough ornamental works you'll see unexpected things like this on occasion. And as I said before, feel free to modify it if you wish. :)

Dale Hatfield

Elite Cafe Member
My attempt

Im getting a better handle on the depth.
The shading still gives me the fits.
I have decided that this is the year for me to figure this out and get the best handle on it I can. Otherwise come Dec. I will sell or trade my engraving equipment and buy a Old colt.

Attachments

• samsscroll.jpg
    samsscroll.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 511

Latest posts

Sponsors