Announcement: Cutting & shading exercise #3 by Lee Griffiths

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
lee_griffiths_exercise.jpg

Round 3 with a really nice corner design by Lee Griffiths. This should be fun one so give it a go and post your results! Don't forget that Lee has a great book and video series on scroll design. It's a must-have for all scroll designers.

And now a word from Lee:

Well everyone, here is number three. We all have or will encounter a need to fill a corner in our designs. These scrolls offer a few different leaf shapes for some excellent shading practice. Some of you may want to drop off the outside scrolls while others will see possibilities to add. Feel free to add, subtract, amend, mutilate, modify, enhance, butcher, beautify.........what did I leave out? The main thing is to have some fun and see what we can learn. This is safe experimenting. There is no right or wrong. Think of it as a process of discovery. The great philosopher Buzz Lightyear exclaimed "to infinity and beyond" and so we shall in a sometimes stumbling way.

Download the .eps file here.

mrthe

Thank you to Lee for this great exercise , very beautyfull design, i'm with Sam, i have the book & Dvd art & design fundamentals and is a must to have , is a great lesson about how to draw and understand scroll very well done and easy to understand .
Thank you Sam too to give us the opportunity another time to learn more ;)

Deb Williams

Lee/Sam:

Would it be possible to post the ".eps" files from the "Shading Exercise" threads as a "PDF" file for those without access to graphic programs? I use the computer at the library and can print a PDF file, but there are no additional programs available (we aren't big city here!).

Thank you for all of the examples with these exercises - a great learning opportunity!

Sincerely,

Deb Williams

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the practice piece!! I will work on this through this week....

Donny

ivar

here is my practice nr.3
i did it last night, it was fun thanks

bthomas

I was a bit embarassed by my metal preparation job on prior practice plates so I obtained some stainless money clips...these were least expensive I found on ebay (figured I would give them a try).

...they are sturdy and well polished but I can't say I like the way they cut. The idea to cut on a money clip was a suggestion from a real engraver and came with a clip to try which I found cut very easily...my aquisitions on the other hand while I am up for a challenge detract from the task at hand. Well I will be looking for alternate sources.

and a design variation [sorry for the harsh turn on this one...finding these practice plates great ways to gain tool control or expose lack thereof :)]

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bthomas, well done. Nice variation.

I encourage everyone to look at the thread -MASAI by Jacoby Pascal, in addition to the wonderful rendering of the warrior, notice the effective use of a corner design and circle used to frame the portrait. This is the practical application of this number three shading exercise.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, this will be my next, but have to bring it back to the front, as you might have forgotten about it.
I'm getting used to my new devise the En-Set, Chris DeCamillis new controller and hand piece, so a good opportunity to show how and why I like this controller that much.

arnaud

Last edited:

bthomas

Thanks Gary...but I really should recut on a surface that i can better manage at this stage

...these particular stainless clips are proving to be a particularly difficult material...brings all sorts of additional challenges (vibration maintaining tool sharpness etc.) to an exercise that I intended to help me with my shading

Bill

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the entire work is quite nice ! but-- that script really rings my bell ! great stuff

Latest posts

Sponsors