Carved Lee Helgeland Winchester Model 70 458 Magnum by Barry Lee Hands

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Barry thank you so much for this, I really want to give it a try. The Cronite Steel Etching Acid is easy to find but I am having trouble with the ground. I cannot find "Sands Etching Ground" or the company Paravano in NJ. Could you give a little more detail on where to get the ground you use. Thank you.

rsharrard

Hello Barry, Thanks for all the information you have taken the time to provide us!!! I'm having the same results a Denny, no matter which search engine used. Paravano comes up as a commercial printing Litho company in PA and all searches for Sands Or Sand's etching ground comes up with lots of references to types of grounds but nothing specific to that name or distributor. Robin

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
For those who are interested here is the information on the etching ground that Barry uses. Barry was correct and I just needed to look harder. I just talked to a very nice Mr. Philip Paravano from Paravano Company Incorporated, in Willow Grove, PA. They do sell the Sands Etching Ground that Barry uses. Contact information: Philip@paravanocompany.com or 215-659-4600. I ordered one bottle and he is sending a payPal bill. It is about $28 per bottle plus shipping.

rsharrard

I guess I should have called them as they only listed printing services and no other products, and they were in PA not NJ.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am glad you found the info, I must have had the location wrong.
After another etch, the legs are painted in:

And after a final etch, all the ground is removed with paint thinner, leaving the rough elephant:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Barry, the last photo shows what I was curious about, the depth of etch. That is a lot of material removed in a nice selective manner. I was familiar with etching printing cylinders in a roto gravure printing shop many years ago so this technique holds a lot of interest for me. I appreciate the time it takes to record the process.
Mark

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is my signature "HANDZ" in my version of "west coast freestyle"as used by the Graffiti artists in so cal and other places.
The crown is an modern allegorical reference which indicates I believe I am the "King of my style", this also is taken from so cal graffiti culture and other sources, these days it is considered "Old school".. .

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
so much time you have taken to do the fotos, answer questions, we all owe you for this. i've never seen such a more well presented and complete tutorial than what you have given us. all i can say, is thanks for the amazing body of work you have done and shared. no question, you earned the right to the "crown" !

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
I may have missed it in an earlier post, but can you tell us the depth of relief in this piece? it truly is amazing work. I'm afraid to ask the mount of time spent just on the elephant.

Latest posts

Sponsors