Carved Lee Helgeland Winchester Model 70 458 Magnum by Barry Lee Hands

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Silverchip!
Axeman, when I am alert , I wing it, but when I am being a bit dull(CNBC is on) I draw things in with feltpen just so I don't get too stupid, hehe.

axeman11

Also the graver point in the photo entitled "relief engraving" looks like the front end of an Apache attack helecoptor. I saw a tutorial by Bliele where his graver looked like a shift lever from a 1971 Yamaha DT 1 or there abouts. There has to be a secret in there somewhere. I know I'm doing something wrong because my points look like the ones in the books and diagrams. I'm losing sleep over this....really.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Axeman, yes, that is my apache helicopter graver.
I dont pay much attention to the diagrams in the books, however it is just a flat with the face and top left bulky to give the stress somewhere to go.
Those thin points you see in the books often ignore the basic mechanics of cutting tool design.
The best book on graver sharpening I ever saw was " How to sharpen a lathe bit" chapter in the old, " How to run a lathe" book.
Gravers are, after all, just lathe bits held in a tool post(your hand) that works on the material held in the lathe chuck( the engraving block)

axeman11

Aaahhhhhhh.... I have the book. I think i skipped the chapter in favor of a YouTube video. I will review it Sensei. Thank you for the reply.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gakusei-Review is always good, and yes the jaws you mentioned on a previous post are lead lined.

Last edited:

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat::thumbsup::clapping::thumbsup::clapping::thumbsup::clapping::thumbsup::clapping::thumbsup::tiphat:.....is all I can think of, Barry!

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Mark and Paulie, CHris the apache point is 50 degree flat face, it is made from glensteel for flexibility, it features a curved belly, it is a .012 in wide flat graver.

vanknife

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Barry, Your work is always taking us on a tour in the engraving world. I am looking forward to see the complete project and would like to see it with my own eyes one day, or any of your work for that matter. Keep engraving and a lot of us will keep drooling.

Regards

"VAN"

axeman11

This is fantastic stuff. It's like Christmas every time a new segment comes out. Very educational and very much appreciated, a masters clinic without having to leave the house. There should be a "donate" button, kind of like an on-line tip jar....though that might make you feel cheap and tawdry.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In this pic the scrolls are drawn onto the top of the floorplate with an Itoya finepoint felt pen:

Last edited: