Help, please: Beginner's tool list

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Would anyone volunteer to write a tool list that I can make as a sticky thread in the Tips Archive? It seems like every week we get new members asking for recommendations for what to start with.

I would like someone with plenty of engraving experience who knows tools, and preferably someone with both hammer & chisel and pneumatic handpiece experience.

The purpose is NOT to push one brand over another. It should be a list of options that beginners can consider when starting out. Some want to test the waters without investing a lot of money, and some have flexible budgets and just need guidance and suggestions.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
If I may offer a suggestion Sam, perhaps it would be more productive to have those with opinions offer them to build a thread edited and updated by the administration team only. The best ideas could be edited into the thread and new tools or ideas updated without causing the reader to dig through a long thread of discussion about it and ending up as confused as they began. There is so much to figure out when you start and everyone seems to have a different opinion about it. Perhaps if only the 'cream of crop' thread or a single well edited post the question would become simpler to figure out.

Bob

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Strarting out

The first tools I would recomend would be a pencil and pad,learn how to draw take a drawing class.If you can draw it you'll have a better chance at engraving it.Don't rush into the Art, your going to have to put in some time into it before you see any results.Take an engraving class,get with someone who can guide you and see if engraving is for you.:thumbsup: J.J.

mrthe

Is a great Idea Sam, Steve Adams have make recently a video where show his tools for coin carving and where and for what use each and i think is a great way for people interested in learn engraving what they need.
A little video maybe will be very helpfull.

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
Western Bright Cut, 45 Flat for the majority of cuts, 37 Flat for wriggled scroll back bones, 18 / 10 liner, 90* square for shading cuts. then it becomes like fishing lures, sizes, colours and shapes that catch us.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
The Art of Engraving(book).
Lynton McKenzie tapes from Brownells.

This initial purchase,or ,library check out,will fill the requirements of getting any person started.
The request is to broad,Sam.
One must learn to crawl before he should consider getting running shoes.
One can REALLY get started for next to nothing $ wise.
Lynton shows how to MAKE your tools.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for making my point gentlemen but Sam has asked for a single volunteer and stated his criteria. While I feel he may be asking a great deal from a single volunteer and of a single posting it was just a suggestion. I feel I may have diverted the thread with my suggestion, one that has not been acknowledged much less approved of. So I apologize if I have done so Sam, I didn't mean to sidetrack your intent.

Bob

monk

Staff member
i'm gettin mean & nasty now ! a newbie knowing nothing of the tools, no real idea of what they want to engrave, and perhaps no artistic bent, possibly lookin for an instant injection of how -to-- i'm simply going to say- spend some bleepin time looking at what the forum has to offer. it's all there ! i just wonder how many newcomers from some time back-- haven't even looked at roger bleiles' glossary of engraving terminology. roger has devoted very much to this art-- give him and others a bit of respect. if a newcommer were given all the tools we use, where would that person be ??-- still confused. so in closing-- read thru this forum, you'll be glad you did !

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Wow monk, I don't think the thread Sam is speculating about is about creating an instant engraver but a guideline for minimal tool acquisition to help new engravers. I don't think anyone would suggest not making an effort to study the available knowledge here. Part of the problem is the level of ideas and opinions that has no directed aim, offered to newb and expert alike in a seemingly endless number of threads, it just adds to the confusion. What is being suggested by Sam is perfectly sensible and practical, a place to start, a foundation for tooling.

Bob

monk

Staff member
ok, maybe i fell off the handle there. and no intention of offense to anyone, especially a beginner, but i think i'm right, maybe-duh ! as sam mentioned- how much space is required to continue rehashing the same thing over & over. how about a few more responses here ? don't take my suggestion as "rule", maybe there's a much better idea(s) than mine. sams' is certainly a good one, but i don't feel comfortable doing what he suggested.i i'm sure if i did do as sam asked, i'd probably come up "short". i don't feel anything we do is "one size fits all". that's simply why i said what i said.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I can get behind that, it's not easy and would depend on some criteria that only the beginner themselves could determine. I don't think tooling for a beginner could be a 'one size fits all' thing, it could be put together as groups in a range of tools to meet the need or pocket of the individual. To me I see the biggest problem and expense for a beginner is a vise or turntable and work holding device. In my limited experience for push engraving it is as important as a properly sharpened graver, without one I believe you have no idea what push engraving is.

Bob

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here's what I have in mind. I should also have a basic WESTERN STARTUP for those want to cut that style. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
~Sam

HAND TOOLS STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Chasing hammer
2 square graver blanks
1 wooden or steel chisel handle
1 mushroom type hand graver handle
Medium and fine whetstone combo
Copper, steel, and brass practice plates
Bench vise
Books: Art of Engraving by JB Meek, design books by Ron Smith and Lee Griffiths
Video on hand sharpening

UPGRADES: Rotating engraver's vise, Optivisor, stereo microscope, sharpening fixture or template

---------------------

LOW BUDGET POWER ASSIST STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Ngraver flex shaft handpiece (requires Foredom type motor) or GRS System 3 (requires air compressor)
2 square graver blanks
Medium and fine whetstone combo
Bench vise
Video on hand sharpening

UPGRADES: Rotating engraver's vise, Optivisor or stereo microscope, sharpening system or templates
----------------------

BETTER POWER ASSIST STARTUP

Sketch pad & pencils
Basic system by GRS, Lindsay, or Enset (see their websites for basic models and prices)
Air compressor
2 square graver blanks
#40 flat graver
Rotating engraver's vise
Sharpening system or templates
Stereo microscope w/ring light

UPGRADES: Centering vise or turntable base, silent air compressor, additional flat graver sizes

mrthe

Sam you have forget maybe the compressors or flexyshaft motor for the power assisted tools

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Top of the range, hand controlled system:

Lindsay Classic Palm Control with standard and tungsten pistons (lightweight piston optional)

or GRS GraverMach AT with 901, Monarch and Magnum hand pieces

Emax rotary for background removal

Quick Change holders for gravers
Air compressor
square graver and flat graver blanks
Rotating engraver's vise (really important!). For gun work or anything large and awkwardly shaped, a positioning vise
Sharpening system or templates
Stereo microscope w/ring light

A decent chair and solid bench are often overlooked. A decent chair is essential for health and wellbeing.

Last edited:

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right next to pencil, paper and brick size eraser...BOOKS for inspiration and guidance. Meeks, Lee Griffith and Ron Smith. I'm sure there are a few others

Steveareno

As JJ recommended, start with drawing.

If you could have one book for beginning thru advanced drawing and shading, what might that be? Not engraving related, just drawing and shading.

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors