Beginner intro to this forum... hello and any help is greatly appriciated, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

13clicks

I am new to engraving and everything that it involves... my interests are motorcycles and bicycles as well as tattoo collecting. I am interested in the correct way to learn the basics of hand chisel engraving to start... I am not wanting to spend over a couple hundred dollars to start... I have seen air engravers that area over a $1000. (I wish I could)

unclejim1955

Elite Cafe Member
This is just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree. Unfortunately, engraving is not cheap. I and may others wanted to ease in as you now do, but found very quickly that it's like trying to become an auto mechanic with pliers and a screwdriver. In try to do it cheap, your less likely to like it. The best thing you can do is find the closest engraver you can and spend some time with them trying things so you know for sure if it's something you want to do. $1,000.00 for an air engraver is just the beginning. Plan on at least $10,000.00. In my opinion, you're in or you're out and I love being in.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
I understand what Jim is saying, and for most situations he is right. And in addition to the expense of tools, there is the cost of lessons, which is a good investment.

But everyone is different. And it also depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is enjoyment, not making money, and can live with slow progress and frustration, you can get into engraving for a couple hundred dollars to start.

I suggest buying Schippers book, or Lynton McKenzie's books and DVD's.
Also, there are many free videos and info on the forums.

One of the most important things to buy, and spend time on, is a good system for sharpening gravers- chisels.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not even that slow.
For pleasure, non powered tools are fine. But do go slow. Save your fingers

Andrew Biggs

Yes, you can learn hand engraving for very little financial outlay. Over time you will spend more but the basics would be as follows

Pencil and paper

Chasing hammer
A couple of gravers
Handles for the gravers
Some sort of vise for holding the work
A good quality sharpening stone.

That will get you started. All are available over the internet. Start with hammer and chisel and if you desire move onto hand push.

On top of that you would need to invest in a couple of books to give you instructions.

The Art Of Engraving by James Meeks
Engraving Historic Firearms by John Shippers

If you can only get one book then I would recommend the second.

All of that will cost somewhere around $200 to $300 depending what you have laying around your garage.

The only other thing you will need is time and dedication......and a lot of it. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
13clicks,

You didn't tell us where in the world you are located. This is an international forum and your location will bear on the answers you receive.

RB

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I know I'm close to a month before responding, but If you will allow me as I just got here...... All of the suggestions above are excellent. I'm taking a slightly different route. Mine is a bit cheaper. I am starting to learn how to "draw" the fantastic pieces Im looking at. Trying to understand how they look the way they do. I suggest drawing as a beginning

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
well-- hammer & chisel can be done for about free. if you can learn to anneal fies and temper them you got free chisels. old triangular and small square ones can be fashioned into very suitable chisels. i even made my own hammers when i started. when i do h&c, i still use the stuff i made decades ago. you'll find it's really not the tool, but the person guiding the tool. matters not if it's homemade, or cost a couple grand, it's all about you and persistence to learn thru practice. a very valuable tool--many newbies seem to neglect--- paper and pencil !

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might be able to spend hours making tools and learning via trial and error. I was selling my work within a month of taking classes from Sam and Rex at GRS on my tools from GRS. The cost for the fast start was about $8000, but I made it back within 3 to 4 months.

jtrock

... but I made it back within 3 to 4 months.

What are the markets, or customer base, that I should look at targeting for a quick start like that? Did you have a client base, or did you go after specific markets?

bram ramon

Elite Cafe Member
Engraving not Cheap... I would name it one of the cheapest crafts when it comes to tools.. Look at the Italian, Belgium, English, Austrian, Russian engravers.. Most of them don't have any machine. Look at their work.. You only need a engraving hammer some chisels a push graver a good loupe a vise and some pencils. For a 200Eur you should have everything..

mrthe

Kevin Scott give you a good advice,a good sharpened graver is the key ;)

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another hit and run poster. The OP (13clicks) asked his question on 7/29, we replied, he looked at our first responses on 8/1 and never commented or thanked anyone for their efforts. He hasn't even visited this forum in over two months but people are still offering advice to him.

This happens over and over. "I want to get into engraving but don't want to spend any money or put forth any effort. Please spoon feed me everything I need to know." I think we should make a standard response to these threads and make it a stickey. I for one will no longer waste my time and effort responding to any similar threads.

jtrock

Jrock, I mainly sell to the cowboy action shooters in my area.

OK, that makes sense. Thanks so much. I do appreciate it.

Mr. Bleile: You are right, for sure. I've read here for a bit and many are not really interested in the art, they are interested in drama or discussion, both of which a forum will provide.

Just know, Sir, there are those who do appreciate your time, efforts, and work giving back to your craft. Unfortunetely, we don't tell you enough, Beathard, and the others here as well. Thank you.
jtrock

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You're right, Roger. And the hit-and-run poster is quite common on internet forums, from photography to engraving. Someone will drop by and ask for advice and we may never see them again. The good news is that the helpful comments will be of benefit to someone else reading the forum. Keep in mind that there are literally thousands of pages read by members and visitors each day.

Yes, a sticky thread in the Tips Archive is a good idea. If you'd like to draft up a HOW TO GET STARTED post I'll be happy to add it there and we can refer newbies to that thread.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
And sometimes.... sometimes, the poster has a reason.

He/she may have gotten into an accident, had a heart attack - been put into a hospital and does not own a laptop or is too far under to use one or care. A friend of mine vanished this way. I had no way of knowing why. Turned out he had had a quadruple bypass. Vanished again recently, but this time I had a way to find out that he is being treated for conjestive heart failure...

I myself have dissapeared from the forums several times over the years for medical and personal reasons.

Yes, the odds are that most of these types of posters are just wasting your time and/or pulling your chain.

There's a guy who responded to my ad over in the BUY/SELL section. I took the time to write him a long reply about what he could expect if he came here. It's been a coupla months now with no response.

But maybe, just maybe... there is an explanation?

Brian

I tend to get more irritated at the ones who receive tons of help/advice and never respond/acknowledge in any way to those who took the time to help them - other than to keep asking for more. And then there are a few who never really try to make use of what they are given...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors