Barry Lee Hands engraved Warren Osborne folder with Blue Canyon Jasper

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
exquisite ! are the leave raised above the surface ? or is that just an illusion ? quite lovely looking.an exceptional knife, and he appears to chose his engravers wisely, i might add.
Thanks Monk, everything is raised, the leaves are overlays and the stems are inlays, they could be overlaid, but as proud and tall as I like them, it would be difficult to locate them and make them stay in place.
Warren Osborne makes an excellent knife, it functions as slick as it looks. The client was not the maker, but a collector, .
Barry great job, as has been said I like your treatment on the background. Plus the raised gold beads add a nice touch to the layout.
Thanks Brian, you have been posting some very good gold work yourself.
The gold beads, give an illusion of movement and fill the space, with as many stems as there are in this, it would look thin without those gold beads to fill it in.

Last edited:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry,

You never fail to hit a home run, and almost always onto a new part of the canvas for us to enjoy. I like that Jung quote. Who was it who said that, "... humans are never more authentically themselves than when they are at play"? Many of us would be terrified to undertake this level of work on such an unforgiving canvas, but you do seem to hold it at the level of play ... as always, you appear pretty comfortable on thin ice.

Well done!

Rod

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hehe, I have succumbed to an engraverism, it's not baked.
It was inked and put it in a warm place. The ink really just stains the blasted steel, and of course stains the gold and the shade lines.
I don't know much about Jasper, but I would to too scared to heat it, I didnt even like breathing on it for fear it would crack.
I covered the inlays with clear tape and left it on through the whole process and was quite relieved when the knife was still in one piece after all the hammering to get the gold installed.

Barry just a word about jasper; it's a type of quartz chalcedony with impurities which make it so interesting.
Stones can often be heated to high temps; temperatures which would burn your fingers. It's thermal shock which is the danger.
Kevin P.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Bronc and Kevin, I would agree.
Barry,

you do seem to hold it at the level of play ... as always, you appear pretty comfortable on thin ice.

Well done!

Rod
Thanks Rod and yes, lets hope so, it is at its best when its fun!

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry I love the look but I am confused by what is meant by 'overlay'. Is the overlay anchored in some way?
Your work looks simple and elegant; as a result, I'm sure, of a lot of work.
Kevin P.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Kevin, and overlays are just like an inlay, except you dont dig a hole first, and in fact, an overlay is an inlay, as the establishment of a burr field, causes cavities under the normal level of the surface, its just a matter of degree.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry, when the snow melts in the spring I'd like to come up your way and learn a few things.
Kevin P.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry, I understand. I briefly checked out your schedule.
I'm adaptable and summer would work for me. The extra time
will give me a chance to narrow my focus as to what I'd like to accomplish.

Where in CA is your studio? I lived in the San Francisco area for 20 years.
Kevin P.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kevin, my California studio is in Borrego springs.
Its good in the winter, too hot in the summer.
I have a place also in Oceanside, but no plans to teach there at this time, just vacation.
I grew up in Davis, and went to college at Heald, when it was on Van Ness in SF.
Where are you located?

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Barry, I've been in Nambe NM for the last ten years. It's 15 miles north of Santa Fe and rural. Before Nambe, 22 years in Marin county.

I like the style of the work you've shown on this forum.
It's the kind of thing I'd like to explore. Maybe things considered objet d'art; I've got a nice customer base built up.

At the moment I'm a studio lapidary and goldsmith selling at retail art fairs mainly on the coasts.
I'd like to get together sometime for some tutoring.
Kevin

Last edited:

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Kevin, and yes, we can get you up to speed in that style, just let me know when you wish to come, I would be happy to have you as a student.

Last edited: