Barry Lee Hands engraved Warren Osborne folder with Blue Canyon Jasper

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Man, that's a beauty! I especially like the background treatment. Stunning work. :beerchug:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That gray backround with the rich gold color is very elegant.

If you would, please tell me the source of the Jung quote? I'm a big fan of his writings.
Kevin P.

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
With the background is that sandblasted or somthing similar???
Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Sam, and everyone.
Andrew, the background is blasted with aluminum oxide, then inked and baked.
The leaves are overlayed, the stems are raised inlays.
If you would, please tell me the source of the Jung quote? I'm a big fan of his writings.
Kevin P.

Kevin, Its from "Man and his Symbols" if my memory serves, what page, I couldnt say.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

HI Barry

Thanks for that..............baked?? Is that baked at a low temprature just to dry the ink? or is it for another reason?

It certainly has a very pleasing effect with the gold against it.

Cheers
Andrew

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
HI Barry

Thanks for that..............baked?? Is that baked at a low temprature just to dry the ink? or is it for another reason?

Cheers
Andrew
Hehe, I have succumbed to an engraverism, it's not baked.
It was inked and put it in a warm place. The ink really just stains the blasted steel, and of course stains the gold and the shade lines.
I don't know much about Jasper, but I would to too scared to heat it, I didnt even like breathing on it for fear it would crack.
I covered the inlays with clear tape and left it on through the whole process and was quite relieved when the knife was still in one piece after all the hammering to get the gold installed.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
exquisite ! are the leave raised above the surface ? or is that just an illusion ? quite lovely looking.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
exquisite ! are the leave raised above the surface ? or is that just an illusion ? quite lovely looking.an exceptional knife, and he appears to chose his engravers wisely, i might add.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Barry great job, as has been said I like your treatment on the background. Plus the raised gold beads add a nice touch to the layout. Thanks for letting us take a look at it. Also I know what you mean about the mineral inlays, I hold my breath everytime I lift the tape off, after the job is done.

Latest posts

Sponsors