Art, REALLY!

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yip, and they all would have used Photoshop if they had it, just as Davey Crockett would have used a GPMG at the Alamo if he had one. :)

Cheers
Andrew

Naaa! I think he liked doing things the "ARTISTIC" way when loading his musket:biggrin:

I also now realise that Vermier's paintings are a load of crap! after all, he used a Camera Obscura...so they must be:shock:

Last edited:

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, you are correct, it is from the Smithy,thats how I started 40 years ago. I just thought if sort of fit in here someplace. I have long made many of my small carving tools.

scott99 :)

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Ahh, a kindred spirit, I finaly got brave enough to put stuff on my profile if you are still intrested. The one thing I like best about Blacksmith work is it takes a bunch of heat or a bunch of time for someone to mess with your work.

scott99 :)

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
Yip, and they all would have used Photoshop if they had it, just as Davey Crockett would have used a GPMG at the Alamo if he had one. :)

Cheers
Andrew
What makes you think so?
Don't the germans,belgians and italians,have computers?
Yet,over all they still use the tried and true,no?
What about the asian,and middle eastern peoples?
Seems all this techno gadgetry is an american influence.
Maybe because our fast pace life styles wont allow for ,to take the time to learn without?
mike:thinking:

Andrew Biggs

At the end of the day computers, transfers and all the rest of it is only a means to an end and save a little time in some areas of the process. The art and design still comes from the mind, heart and soul same as in the days of Michelangelo and the caveman.

And what makes you think that the Germans, Belgians, Italians and Asians aren't using computers and other "resource material" ?

And as for Davey..............I have no doubt in my mind he would have also called in a couple of air strikes if he could :)

Cheers
Andrew

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
I saw on another forum today a clip about a film by Werner Herzog. It's a documentary about some cave paintings in France being 30,000 years old, approximately twice as old as what was considered the worlds oldest example of art. So the world considers this as art but you know there had to be some ancient human, caveman, critic jerk that considered it garbage.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
I ususally think in terms of craftsmanship, not art. When I look at the work I do, the first 1% (a few hours) takes care of the art portion in designing and the remaining 99% (a few hundred hours) applies that art concept to the chosen canvas, a firearm for the most part, with as much craftsmanship as I can muster. Call it what you will, I call it fun!

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
And what makes you think that the Germans, Belgians, Italians and Asians aren't using computers and other "resource material" ?

Due to the many posts about and from people in those places.

Barry Hands,asked the Fracassi's ,about this.
Francesca,consulted with her father,and then said,First we draw it on paper,then with a scribe in the metal.
And describes many of the shops being nothing more than reference material,engraving block,stones and a few gravers.
Roland being the first in belgium to use air graver.
The techniques used by the masters at The Grand Masters.
And from personal communications.
Also, the descriptions Joseph has given of his days in Italy.
According to many posts ,its still essentially the same.
Charles woo,describing his methods.
People all over the world talk on here of the methods they employ.
Seems an american influence,atleast from what i can see.mike
Now,i mean overall,I am sure now that some are moving towards modern aids/tools.

Could it be that our modern tools have caused some type of "market " effect/change to take place,which may cause them to take them up in order to compete in the market place?:thinking:mike

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Openess about our techniques?

If you see a painting you like. But find out that the artist used a projector to blow up his original sketch to the size of the canvas and transfer the image before he started painting. Does this change the quality of the finished piece for you? Do you feel like the artist should state he used a projector?

John Schipp
Random Painting Title
Tools Used:
Projector
Internet
Wifes Advice

If somebody asked I think honesty is always best. But let the finished piece stand for itself. When I see beautiful art I like it no matter what tool was used.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Let the customers decide. If you have customers that insist that you draw on paper and transfer to the workpiece, that's fine. If you have customers that don't care, that's fine. I suspect 99% are only concerned with the end result and not whether you used a newfangled technique to get the outline on the workpiece before you engrave it.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Speaking of all this technology... I recently (within the last two weeks) have been able to get excellent transfers using the parchment/laser printer method. At first I was elated and then found it to be terrible confusing once under the scope. I thought it would make things easier but ended up being a whole nuther obstacle to overcome.

And if you think a pantograph is easy... Guess again... you will have endless problems with alignment, skewing, incorrect size ratios and screwing up pieces left and right... Infact, I've deemed using a pantograph as an art in itself. Just because you can see the successful outcomes of these methods, don't assume that failures have not occurred in great number and frequency.

With one of the last knife engraving commissions that I did, I just drew the scroll on with a sharpie... almost felt like I was cheating :cool: :drawing:

Latest posts

Sponsors