Question: antique push gravers

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I see your point. I think the old push gravers are more photogenic anyhow. OK, if I got y'all right , as long as I say I'm hand engraving , it doesn't really matter which techniques I use as long as they are done by hand .. unless otherwise requested. I hope this makes sense...

I use the term "freehand engraving." Some people push the term "hand engraving" to include a manually operated pantograph as contrasted with a computer/motor driven one.

Now we are on the verge of that great and never ending argument about what is truly hand engraving. We really don't need to go there again. :no:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I did notice while searching the web about ( hang engraving ) it kept bringing us results about hand held industrial engraving tools. More less for stamping part #. And the term ( freehand engraving ) does make more sense in my opinion.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I like hand pushing, it has a charm unlike power assist. I love the control I have with my Lindsay PC but like all power tools it robs you of the direct relationship of hand tool and work. I think I am looking for a reason to use push but the only one I can find is because I want to and that's not very productive. I like Rogers 'freehand engraving' it covers what is done and sounds inspiring, perhaps the term should be put in Latin, who would argue about a Latin term, besides Cardinals, I mean it's Latin. How about Libera Manualis Caelum? It says free or independent fitted to the hand graver, Caelatura is engraving so Libera Manualis Caelatura. :thinking: That doesn't sound romantic at all, darn, but it'd look nice on a banner. :)

Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors