Question: antique push gravers

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
I've got 45-50 push gravers with handles, and another 50 or more ready for handles. I use them very rarely, but like that idea...put the push gravers in the pic. More photogenic than my Gravermax! LOL

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
My push gravers got used. A lot.

As did my shoulders/arms/wrists/fingers - pushin' and shovin' 'em into metal...

Some things about those days I do regret... the damage I did that's causin' me the physical pain these days.

But most of it I don't regret. It was a hard way to learn and it was a hard scrabblin' life, those first 20 years.

Ate a lot of beans and rice. (And now, unfortunately, coming into the final stretch - I am eatin' them again)

I'm probably more surprised than anyone who ever knew me that I made it this far!

Just surviving and getting old is a pretty fair accomplishment when you stop and think about it.

If you had asked me back when I was 20, I would have told you that I never figured on being where I am now...

Brian

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
When I bought my first Gravermax (I have 2), it was from an elderly man that no linger could engrave. In addition to the Gravermax I got most of those push gravers. I have added a few before and since on my own. I also got several scrapbooks of engraving clippings, 50lbs of practice plates (mostly steel and mostly rusty) and MANY other items.
Probably would have been cheaper to just buy the unit new, but hadn't yet taken my first course from Sam at GRS, so was partially guessing. It's why I really encourage a course BEFORE buying anything...just to know what you will and won't need.

I did some pushing before I got the equipment, and the wife still has a few pieces that we can look at and marvel. I can't believe how hard it was to do that, not knowing how to sharpen, how to push or really anything. For me, the Meeks book said 'draw these circles, now cut this ornate scroll work"! Taking a course from Sam took the mystery away!

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leonard, I only ever rode a bull that one time... and it was my legs that got the hairline fractures.

Youth and an overabundance of testosterone. You are invincible at 19.

Got bucked off at 6 seconds.

I jumped the instant he hit my shins and rolled ass over teakettle over his back.

The clown ran up just in time and saved my butt or I probly wouldn't be sittin' here writin' this.

So no, what happened that time only adds to my ability to predict the weather...

B.

The lesson from that was that it was somewhat wiser to stick with the horses.

At least they don't come lookin' for you afterwards.

And they dislike stepping on things that squish. Bulls love to do both...

(Funny how you can never remember the clowns' name?)

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
At Brian. Maybe if the clown would have done a better job you would never have been mowed down by the bull.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jared,

If you mean because Leonard only has 6 gravers, well you need to be around some of these guys a wee bit longer.

6 is plenty.

I knew an engraver who ONLY ever used one flat. For EVERYTHING.

He'd use a slight angle to get his bright cuts.

Tip it further up on the corner and use it as a "V" graver to do his shading. One line at a time.

His work was incredible.

Leonard just doesn't want to work that hard. (Or be incredible?)

B.

Last edited:

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
No just meant taking pics of the old gravers and saying I did my work with them the hard way , when in fact I did them with power assist gravers. I'm not trying to be offensive to anyone. I had a chance to play with my Enset the first time last night. Wow I love it. But durn . You guys and gals that have mastered this fine art. I take my hat off to. Its going to be a learning experience keeping the right depth on a longer cut.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jared,

Doin' what you're sayin' - fudgin' the images for "publication" has been goin' on for a long, long time. (and now, we have Photoshop!)

Every year I get requests from 2 or 3 people who specifically want to learn hand push or hammer & chisel.

Once upon a time I could do either adequately, but I was always better at hand push.

Circumstances have changed somewhat, since my body was remodeled and I have pretty much lost those skills.

However, if they insist I can/will show them to the best of my now rather limited abilities...

Wanna guess why they want to learn these skills?

They participate in, or engrave at black powder shoots, civil war re-enactments and Renaissance Faires.

It's a requirement that when they are "on stage" in front of the public at these events that they use the tools of the era...
When they return to the hotel room at night they use modern day equipment to catch up on the orders of the day and engrave new stock for sale.

So, none of it is really a new idea, though technically it may be a bit of a deception?

Brian

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
There is a difference in showmanship and misrepresentation, one brings a mood a nuance, the other is to separate you from your money by deceit. How you present yourself and work should be the work of a showman, you would be wise however not to fall under the description of misrepresentation. I see no real difference in the end product of either powered or push, even progress marks are now possible with the Enset so even H&C is no longer a unique look.

Bob

Jared Eason

Elite Cafe Member
I see your point. I think the old push gravers are more photogenic anyhow. OK, if I got y'all right , as long as I say I'm hand engraving , it doesn't really matter which techniques I use as long as they are done by hand .. unless otherwise requested. I hope this makes sense...

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Well, maybe...

I would think it would depend on the expectations of the audience.

Bob

Last edited:

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
Never tried to ride a Bull. Rode saddle Bronc in a few local rodeos, west of Cody, Wyoming back in 1964. Nver made my 8. Also tried milk cow, just for the dudes. That was tough. How do you tell young people that the pain they incur at 18 years old, will return many times over after 60. That is why I always suggest air assist. The damage that you do today WILL come back to haunt you later.

Love my GraverMax.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Am I the only one that has not endured physical pain from hand engraving? C'mon people, suck it up.

Latest posts

Sponsors