Another scene on the fly

J.Hayes

Your work is amazing, so enjoyable to watch the progress and how just a few well placed lines can give so much depth and life. Thank you very much for taking the time to share.

Jeremy

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The beauty about scenes is that you can create whatever is in your head, the possibilities are endless.

Phil

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
It's great watching the progress of these masterworks. When you have the command of the art that you do, making up the scene as you go is obviously no problem!
:thumbsup:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
it's time the gunmakers take an accounting of the exceptional skills you have. they need to start creating guns without all those pesky holes. i don't know how you do this, but you always seem to get better each time you begin work on a gun.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
it's time the gunmakers take an accounting of the exceptional skills you have. they need to start creating guns without all those pesky holes. i don't know how you do this, but you always seem to get better each time you begin work on a gun.

The guns are made by the traditional method, with holes. When there's a customer order for game scenes, the new gun can be made with pinless locks (picture locks) which look better and scenes/goldwork can be added to create whatever pattern one comes up with, however, if it's decided that a standard stock gun needs a scene then that's when a gun comes with holes.

Phil

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Simply stunning work. And thanks so much for taking the time to post the progressions here. It's a rare chance for many of us to peek over the shoulder of a talented artist (as Andrew put it) Most may never have that opportunity in real life and that makes this a gift to the community!
Layne

SalihKara

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Phil, have you ever thought to make a DVD or book to show your technique ?

I believe it will be the biggest heritage that you can give to us.

Best Regards

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's the finished scene.

And here's some info on it:-

The main feature are the birds, it is of utmost importance that these stand out, so, ones eyes should focus on these first, then the rest of the scene is walked into as a kind of journey (RED).

Distand and perspective is also very important, you will notice the difference between picture 5 and 6, the (BLUE) areas instantly create distance.

The golden mean (YELLOW).

Phil

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
Phil,I wish the gun makers would give you the pinless locks to engrave your beautiful game scenes. J.J.

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do get them JJ but usually on special guns or on guns where I am commissioned to do the engraving by a customer.

Phil