Annual Pilgrimage to GRSTC

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sitting in the hotel waiting for the start-to-finish rifle class next week. I am attempting to design what I want to do with the Marlin 39A. Her is my latest design idea. What are your thoughts? Is something wrong that I can fix easily? BTW, the straight lines around the border are for silver inlay. Will be my first inlay on a firearm.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350149615.875308.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350149633.807437.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gerry
Thanks for posting your achievements in class on the forum. You and everyone else did fantastic and it was rewarding for me to see how much you all improved as the week went on. Just don't forget what I tried to teach you and revert back to the old style of doing things. They work for all of you throughout the week and you can continue to build on those new found skills and techniques. Ya did good!!! :clapping:
Now that we have all survived the week it's back to a normal, whatever that is, life. It was a 14 hrs drive to get home to Durango and will take a few days to normalize. Now the rush begins to take care of business before hunting season in 3 weeks.
Have a good time with Rex this week. Whenever possible just mutter under your breath in class...."I like Marty's way better"

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
and YES.........we will be offering the Drawing and Engraving Animals class again next year thanks to everyones support and ecouragement.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Beathard, nice work in that drawing class. Your rifle will be a nice first piece and I'd love to see updates of it in progress.

What exactly is the "rifle class" for this week? Designing scenes and designs for rifle engraving is my guess. I'll be waiting to see. Have fun!!
scottd.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This weeks classes are start-to-finish rifle engraving (the one I'm taking) and flare cut. Rex is teaching my class and Diane is teaching the other.

The rifle class is being taught as an advanced workshop. I'll be working on putting my squirrel from last week and one of Alfano's style leaf letters on the other. I will also be working on my first inlays in a firearm.

The firearm for the week is a Marlin 39A 22LR.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The "rifle class" is just that. Students engrave a Marlin model 39 from start to finish. They have an option of doing thier own design or using one one I made. The classes are always fun. There are several in this class that have taken the shotgun and pistol class already. It gives the student a chance to finish a project in a week. Gerry is one of those "repeat offenders"!! :) Looking forward to having him a class again!!

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty, I think NORMAL is a setting on the dryer. Fred

I think you're right Fred.....and ABBEY NORMAL is either a girl I dated in college or just a concept.

REX GERRY good luck this week

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sorry no updates till today. Had no pictures to post so I forgot to report.

Monday:
Worked on sharpening gravers, practicing American Scroll and English scroll. Rex had us spend time on nick and dot to everyone's great pleasure (yeah right!).

Tuesday:
Continued practicing. Several of started working on our designs. First Rex showed why he made several decisions. He then showed several of my designs on the overhead and pointed out what he liked and disliked. This was a great help to many of us. I spent the rest of the day completing my left and right designs for the receiver. Wednesday I engraved the ejector side through background removal but did not start shading. I wanted to do all shading at the same time. I then cut the main lines of the non-ejection side. My plan for tomorrow is to do the squirrel I did in Marty's class last week.

I'll make sure pictures are loaded on Thursday. In the meantime her is a pic of Rex and Jack at Bruffs where 10 of us had dinner tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350537146.203405.jpg

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Remember Gerry...through the magic of skype and Rex.....I AM WATCHING YOU......no pressure....yeah lots of pressure....nah no pressure... well maybe just a smidge....
Remember when you're doing the critter what you learned in class and you'll do just fine...:thumbsup:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I promised some pictures. These are the two sides of the Marlin 39A. I am working on the background. Cleaning up the cuts and shading are next.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350609286.205622.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350609337.034610.jpg

Latest posts

Sponsors