Annual Pilgrimage to GRSTC

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm off... Drawing Scenes class with Marty and a Rifle workshop with Rex. Can't wait! The 10 hour drive is for the birds, but if the past classes with Sam and Rex are good examples, this should be a great time. I'll try to post some pics during the classes

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I'm super jealous. I wish I was going too!

Drive safe and shoot pics if you can. Learn a lot and bring it back to us! Oh, and HAVE FUN!!
scottd.

celticjohn

Hold on.....let me get this right. You're going for a week long drawing class you then get the weekend off and you start a second weeks instruction on another 5 day class. Some guys honestly.......they hava all the fun. Just 1 week of class will suit me....just one week

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yep. Two in a row!!!

Started off this morning learning perspective. Drew a log cabin.

Last edited:

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
I am envious as well. I always have a great time there. And the money is well spent for what you get knowledge wise. I can't wait for some in progress pics when you get to the long gun class with Rex.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Speaking of perspective: There is an excellent book (Vanishing Point by Jason Cheeseman-Meyer) that is very relevant to scenes on engraved items - meaning multiple, non-parallel, and curved or curving planes.

This book is excellent at helping an artist understand how to handle these perspective layouts - and making them look realistic. It covers multiple planes, curved planes, and five-point perspective as well as all of the basics. I have a copy you can borrow, if you like. PM me.

Here is a link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vanishing-Poi...id=1349727901&sr=1-3&keywords=vanishing+point

Enjoy the classes!
scottd.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We have done two exercises this afternoon. The first was on shading and focal point.

The next was on contours.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Finished up drawing oak leaves.

Tomorrow we start animals with fearsome bunny rabbit.

Last edited:

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Bunny!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349797393.159767.jpg

Spent the rest of the morning practicing push graving bulino style lines.

First scenery engraved in class. My first ever.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I assume you are copying these drawings from a classroom handout rather than freehanding it.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We have a slide on a tv screen at the front of the room. We are drawing general shapes - circles, triangles and rectangles. On that we build up the images. Marty is on he'll of an instructor to get me this far this fast.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Beathard,

This is fun, seeing your drawing course with the Durango Kid progress, thanks for sharing! We could all profit from time spent with Marty.

Can you write something about "contours", looks like you are plotting "shades of grey" in horizontal scans?

Rod

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Gerry,
From the looks of it you have made Marty smile. :tiphat: I took the class last year and the only thing I got from him was a cold stare that would freeze a volcano.:eek: You are correct. He is a great teacher. I learned a lot from him. It was the application of what I learned that garnered the look.:rolleyes:
Sandy

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In the contours exercise we put tracing paper over a printout of an elephant. We the drew lines from left to right across the entire page. When we hit the elephant we were to follow what we thought the contour was. It really got us thinking about how the direction of the lines changed the paper from a flat surface to what seems like a 3-dimensional landscape.

celticjohn

That really looks like great progress in a day or two. I envy you really I do.
I'd love to go State side and take some courses but the cost of flights and accomodation before I pay for the course, the week could cost €2,500 - €3,000. It could be money well spent bit it's hard to justify that outlay.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Day 3 we engraved a 2x2 practice plate with the rabbit we drew earlier in the week.

I wasn't able to finish but my engraving has really improved in the last three days.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So her we are on day 4 of the drawing class. I can't believe how much Marty has improved my engraving. Working on the class material has caused me to step up my game when it comes to graver control.

Today was for the dogs, literally. We started with a large photo that we traced on a light table.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349999648.120632.jpg

This image was placed on a laser copier and reduced 50% then 40%.

The we used lines to engrave the dog on a 2" x 2" plate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349999778.939273.jpg

Never thought I would be able to be this far... Can't wait for tomorrow.

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Day 5 - I asked if I could start designing the gun I will be engraving next week. This is the animal going on the left sideplate.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350079972.531691.jpg

The dark area on the bottom is the reflection from my iPhone.

Others in the class either continued work on yesterday's dog, worked on a spaniel, or did an detailed oak leaf engraving.

In this class I learned to build up an image, graver control, perspective applied to engraving, and many ways to cheat the eye.

This was a FANTASTIC class! Thank you Marty.

Latest posts

Sponsors