An Introduction

Oyster

I've enjoyed following this board for a while, seen some beautiful work, and even recognized a few friends. I figured it was time to participate, so here we go...

My name is Bill Oyster and I live in the sleepy southern Appalachian town of Blue Ridge, Georgia.

This is my business www.oysterbamboo.com and here's my shop in the tourist rich historic downtown.

where we make these...

Which are used to catch these.

Somewhere along the way, the rods advanced to the point of requiring some embellishment so I traveled to Kansas to learn the engraver's craft.

The nickel silver on our fly rod hardware cuts well, but unfortunately everything is small and / or round.:thinking:

All of my engraving work is custom so there's no end to the things I've been asked to create in these tiny spaces.

Like many of us in the U.S. I only have about six weeks of formal training.

The rest has been a long, and continuing road of struggle and practice.

These days, engraving takes up the majority of my time.

However, since I am my own best customer, and always a project or two behind, I haven't been too active in the typical engraving circles. I hope to make amends for that, and maybe someday I'll get to cut something larger, and flatter!:biggrin:

Regards!

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

Great looking town and shop. Wonderful fly rods....and the engraving that decorates them.

That is some tricky work you do on a canvas that is a continual challenge.

As for the trout.......well, that's just superb!!! :)

Cheers
Andrew

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bill,
Welcome to our cafe,
I know your rods and your website for many years, and I 'm a huge fan of your work.
The engraving chapter has now much more pics than a pair of years ago ....:thumbsup:
Congratulations on both your engraving work and your split bamboo fishing rods !

I'm a bit jealous of your engraved ferules and of your trouts ...here they are much smaller;)

Greetings

Jean

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Welcome, Bill! Great work...fantastic work! Nice to have you with us :tiphat:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Bill,Two rod makers Doug Hall and Jerry Nonnemacher told me about your beautiful engraving on fly rods,welcome to the cafe.Keep up the good work.:thumbsup: J.J.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Hey Bill, good to see you on the forum. Enjoyed spending the two weeks of GM with you in Kansas...that was a great experience. I just may admire the trout as much as your engraving and rod building. And that is a lot! Welcome and keep posting.

atexascowboy2011

Elite Cafe Member
Bill

I'm speechless!

NOT REALLY !!!

I'm from Texas, afterall. That is some REALLY incredible composition and execution on those ferules! :clapping:

Would like for you to post as many old pics as you have time to load.
Makes me want to go out, buy a fly rod and head up to Idaho to use it! :biggrin:

Jeff over in Texico

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Bill,
I always enjoy your work. :tiphat: Don't forget your shotgun.;)
Sandy

tim halloran

Elite Cafe Member
Bill: Good to see you on the forum, and i still have great memories of the Grand Masters in 2012. Your work looks great and should only get better. If i ever get out your way we'll have to have one of those Pale Ales you said you have have on tap in your shop. Take care.

Oyster

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, I look forward to learning and participating as often as possible!

Hi Bill,
I'm a bit jealous of your engraved ferules and of your trouts ...here they are much smaller;)

Greetings

Jean
Don't feel too bad, I left out the pictures of the hundreds of tiny fish I catch between every large one. Besides, I had to travel all of the way to Patagonia for that big boy.;)

Welcome, Bill! Great work...fantastic work! Nice to have you with us :tiphat:
Thanks Sam, maybe you can help me fine tune things a bit when I spend the week with you in August.

Hey Bill, good to see you on the forum. Enjoyed spending the two weeks of GM with you in Kansas...that was a great experience. I just may admire the trout as much as your engraving and rod building. And that is a lot! Welcome and keep posting.
Hi Sam! That was a great couple weeks. I'm sure you'll recognize a lot of what we studied in my photos. Also, a special thanks to you for pointing out the glaring hole in my engraving arsenal. I dont know how I ever survived without my burnishers!:graver:

Hi Bill,
I always enjoy your work. :tiphat: Don't forget your shotgun.;)
Sandy
Haven't forgotten it, although I still haven't finished it. In fact, the only reason I have time to post here is the unplanned "break" in my schedule!:eek:

Oyster

Bill: Good to see you on the forum, and i still have great memories of the Grand Masters in 2012. Your work looks great and should only get better. If i ever get out your way we'll have to have one of those Pale Ales you said you have have on tap in your shop. Take care.

Any time!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great stuff and welcome, I like playing with fly rods too. I think there is a market for this kind of work and it gives you another canvas to show your chronic desire to cut on metal!!!!!!

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Welcome Bill and thank you for sharing your beautiful work.
As someone still fairly new to fly fishing, I still can only dream of landing a fish that nice with my fly rods. :bow:
So I guess that your fish as well as your engraving gives us several examples of things to strive towards. :thumbsup:

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
Wonderful to see your amasing rods! I am realy happy you posted thise pics, even though I'm sorry you "got the time." Truly, welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Sponsors