AlfanoArt Monogram System - coming soon

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Here are the steps for the preceding monogram showing my preferred outline transfer as opposed to solid letters. :)

Sam

Staff member
Would you like a copy to beta test for me, CJ? Drop me an email if you're interested. You'll need CorelDRAW or Adobe Illustrator.
~Sam

vslynes

Sam please put me on the list to get a copy when they are ready. That is if you have one. I have all of your other products and each and every one of them is superb!
Vern

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I will beta test it for you. When I was in your class in June, I thought with all my experience with cad/cam this type of project would be a no brainer for me.

Sam

Staff member
Here's a vertical monogram with shaded hairline edge that's ready for cutting.

Walter: Oh, I don't know...maybe hike the hills around Vernazza;)

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, please throw me a life ring, I'm sinking fast! I've been away from the cafe for some time but I'm still "engraving". My trouble is with fonts, I had a program( Picture it 10, ) and i lost it in a computer crash in windows xp. I just need to have a simple font editing software that can flip lettering horizontal so I can apply it to the metal and cut it without the time consuming hand drawn work. Maybe be able to resize and stick in small designs or pictures to and be able to manupulate the same way, I went to Amazon to look for a program , it made my head hurt. I have windows 7 now, can you steer me to something a beginner can use for the purposes stated?
thanks all, best regards
Kent

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kent. You should be able to do your manipulations using a program called xara, which is an illustator type program and fairly cheap. I have this program (and several others) and plan to test this out Tuesday. I will report afterwards.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
I forgot about Xara. You can also get an old version of coreldraw pretty cheap on eBay, Kent.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
KSnyder

You can use Inkscape for what you want - http://www.inkscape.org
It sometimes has trouble reversing blocks of text. When it does I simply convert it to a picture and then flip the picture.

Sam

Any chance your monogram system will be Inkscape compatible?

Sam

Staff member
Steve: I tested Inkscape for Windows and it appears to work just fine. You may have to ungroup some of the letter objects first. It imports both the .eps and CorelDRAW .cdr files without any issues that I can see other than the ungrouping thing which is minor.

Inkscape Mac is another story. When copying and pasting letters into a new Inkscape file it rasterizes the letters upon paste. This = FAIL for Inkscape Mac users as far as I can tell. For Windows users it looks like you're good to go.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok. I tested the file in Artcam, Rhino, Xara Xtreme Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop elements. All but PS elements allows you to import the vectors and manipulate them as much as you want.

Now for some cutting...........

Sam

Staff member
Wow, that's some good testing you did, Bert.:biggrin: Artcam and Rhino are two good ones for the jewelry CAD guys. Thanks man!! :happyvise:
Glad it's working in Xara, too. :thumbsup:

I think CJ got it running in CorelDRAW 13. He had trouble opening the .eps file so I made 8 Corel .cdr files from version 8 through version 15 so he and everyone elso should be covered.

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
It's running Smooth in CorelDraw X3, in fact better than could imagine.

Being able to take apart all the elements in the letters.......it's only the imagination as to what can be created with this program.... :)

I'll be checking it out in Corel Photopaint, & a couple other programs .......
But I find it extremely simple to work with after Sam worked out a little glitch for me..
I'm not much with computers, so for me to do what I'm doing with this, amazes even me......... :) :)

Sam

Staff member
The file can be exported as an AutoCad .dxf or .dwg from Illustrator and probably CorelDRAW as well.