Airtac question

alfrisillo

New gravers

Some time ago I posted a blurb on using the GRS soft handled graver they hand out at their classes (available through their catalogue) and their Quick Change elements to make a bulino engraving tool. I also like shorter gravers for usual cutting. But for bulino, simply drill out the Quick Change element with a 1/8 " drill bit and slide a new graver in as far as it will go. You will not have to remove a lot of the graver, if any, using this approach. I have also drilled through the Quick Change element into the rubber handle....but not to far. Slip in a new graver. This gives you a a lot more graver length left over than if it is cut off a new square graver. When I need a new square or modified square graver , I simply remove the one in the bulino tool and use it, replacing the bulino tool with a new graver at nearly full length. Finally, I think you will find the GRS rubber handle holder to be very comfortable for doing bulino.
I do not suggest this approach be used with any of the pneumatic tools.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Marty, no it doesn't affect the cut but sometimes a graver that's too long doesn't seem to allow me to find the sweet spot of the palm element naturally, that's all. It's just a personal thing really.

Also, (this is a personal thing) I'm against the finger on top of the graver technique. It doesn't give as much control as using the thumb as a pivot (and sometimes a brake).

Last edited:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
I did not have a Lindsay Palm Control when this thread was new. When I obtained one, I immediately replaced one of the set screws with a thumb-screw, backed out the 2d set screw and voila! Every graver is a quick-change graver

Mike Fennell

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I did not have a Lindsay Palm Control when this thread was new. When I obtained one, I immediately replaced one of the set screws with a thumb-screw, backed out the 2d set screw and voila! Every graver is a quick-change graver

Mike Fennell

I tried the thumb screw the other day and didn't get on with it so went back to the set screw. If that thumb screw was a tad smaller and lower profile it'd be perfect but as it is I find it irritating and uncomfortable. So I keep the little Allen key to hand- still relatively quick change.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
The first ones were good. The ones out of a box that come with them now are not so good.

I asked for a better one many years back.

In the end you'll have to find or make your own low profile thumbscrew for the Lindsays...

But it'll probably void your warranty? :)

Brian

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Humm
I use a Lindsay supplyed thumb screw, nylon or plastic. I asked Steve about a metal one and he said the metal ones keep backing out. So no issues with the nylon thumb screws.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
No Dave, we are talking about the plastic/nylon version. Metal ones DO back out from the vibration.

Way back when, they had a nice low profile...

Steve used to turn the heads down on his lathe. Now they just come out of a box.

They were white not black. Not so prone to break either. And much lower.

The black ones actually interfere with the stroke adjustment collar.

I make my own now out of another plastic screw with the correct threads that I turn down myself.

B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors