A New World Record

Andrew Biggs

I was watching the prime time TV news tonight and there was an article about world record holders for things like the one handed clap, how many times a news reader could sign off in 30 seconds, eating the longest piece of string and other equally important world shattering records. It would seem that there is a world record for just about anything you can think of!!

The criteria is threefold. First the record must be repeatable so that others can replicate it. Secondly, it must be beatable and thirdly, it must be verified by at least 2 reliable witnesses

So I got to thinking, as engravers we are not newsworthy as we really don’t hold any world records for anything other than how many gazillion hours we can pour into a job so we are on par with tortoises when it comes to getting from A to B. So we are not exactly renowned for our dazzling speed at anything, but upon further reflection I thought there was one thing we can do…………. and that is cut metal.

So I began to wonder who holds the world’s record for the longest chip of metal before it breaks off in the cut. So after two minutes of intensive research on Google I discovered that this has never been even attempted before. Game on!!!

Secretly craving world acclaim, fame and status and my name forever in the Guinness Book of Records I decided that this was something that I could actually do (I quickly discounted climbing Mount Everest blindfolded with no legs or arms to aid me and the worlds highest freefall without a parachute)

So, it was out to the workshop, sand up a practice plate, mark a continuous spiral and I was ready to go. After a few limbering up exercises and a carefully crafted diet of coffee and cigarettes to build my energy levels up to peak performance…………..I started cutting. It was demanding work and the pressure was unbearable………..after all, this was no ordinary cut, this was a world record cut.

Approximately 10 seconds later of intensive concentration and cutting it was over and I had a chip 28mm long (approx just over 1inch) I scientifically measured the cut with a piece of string and then rang my mother in Australia as she is the most reliable person I know, to verify that I had indeed made the worlds first recorded longest chip. When I told her how long it was she agreed with me and this was promptly confirmed again when my mum rung my older brother who also lives in Australia.

So there you have it folks…………Andrew Biggs is now the current longest chip world record holder. Fame at last!!!! The down side is that I’m now stalked by paparazzi and Mary is also getting tired of gorgeous women throwing themselves at me………. but such is the price of fame and one has to just grin and bear it.

So if any of you wish to give this a go and enter the inaugural "longest chip world championships" and break my world record of the longest chip then please post your results here. It’s actually quite fun to do. :)

Cheers
Andrew
(Current world record holder for the longest chip)

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Great idea, Champion Biggs. I venture to guess that you'll have to fight to maintain your lofty world record status, though. You know how this group of fame hungry engravers is! I might give this a try myself. I actually think I can beat 28mm and I hope it won't cause any hard feelings if you have to hand over your gold medal to me. Where's my coffee....

CRW

Elite Cafe Member
Andrew. can't stop laughing, Longest Chip? This sounds like fun to do, I'll bet you get a lot of action with this. Can't wait to see what results come in. To come up with something like this tells me that you may not have enough to do. :just kidding: Too much time on your hands. LOL

No, actually it is a good idea, I think people Will jump at this.
Keep it going Andrew, good job.

:beerchug:

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Heck, this is an easy one for me. I used to work on some pretty large steel dies. I don't have the chip in hand, but chips over two or three inches were common. considering the chip is shorter than the cut because it compacts along the way, it becomes pretty interesting to see. Those babies really wrap around. If I really tried, I'll bet I could get one longer. This was with hammer and chisel. I know you gun and knife engravers are raising an eyebrow, but it is totally true. I'm going to have to dig up some steel and give this a go again. I can't challenge the artists here on fine engraving, but a chip I can do. Will post after obtaining steel. Does this really bring on the press and women?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

Yes it's all true!!! All of that is only a chip away :)

I can see that this is going to be a feirce competition.

And just a reminder to all entrants................no drug cheats!!! Steroids are a banned substance!!!!

Cheers
Andrew

(Still the current world record holder for the longest chip)

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

As you know, everything is bigger in Texas (including the chips). For my own entertainment, I once cut all the way around on the border of a bracelet I was cutting. The bracelet itself was 6" long x 5/8" wide and I was able to keep the chip intact all the way around. As luck would have it, I got tangled in the super-sized chip when it curled around me unnoticed...I had to fight my way out with a set of wire cutters I grabbed off the bench as I fell to the floor! Whew! Fortunately, my firefighter training came in handy when the "chips were down"!
Told you everything is bigger in Texas!

Weldon "Chip" Lister

I had the remaining chip wound into barbwire for (silver) ranch fencing for the spread!

Last edited:

Martin Strolz

Elite Cafe Member
We all know that chips are likely to break when bent back to a straith line for measuring. I suggest to somehow take the length of the engraved line into calculation of the final score. Andrew, what is your opinion?

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Not much doing in Oz or Kiwi land in the Winter, Summer, sure lots on but Winter....heck yesterday I shot pictures of mushrooms in the rain...Cabin fever sets in after a while...cutting chips becomes exciting...like watching hircuts which is what we did as kids in my tiny town...chips, why that is a move up if you ask me !....Andrew, I can hardly wait till it gets light and I can get to my newly cleaned workbench to start cutting....28mm...just over an inch...too right...!

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, This is not an official entry... but I do have a picture of a "pile" of chips from one of my projects. These were from a motorcycle exhaust shield (steel). :)

Attachments

• BigChipsContest.jpg
    BigChipsContest.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 113

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You guys are way out of your league. With the potatoes grown in Idaho you have no chance. Or is that buffalo..........................I get so confused.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Please be careful, folks. Long chips can be very hazardous. The Engraver's Cafe cannot be responsible for damage or personal injury as a result of Andrew's contest.

JTR

Andrew, Just over an inch long?
Being somewhat new to engraving I sometimes cut chips longer than that just trying to figure out how to get the tip of the cutter out of the metal. :big grin:

John

Roger Keagle

Elite Cafe Member
Let me tell you a story about "Down Under" from our point of view...

We (Earthlings) are floating in space, right...the needle on a compass points North, Right...if you put a hunk of iron next to the compass, it points to it, right...now if all the iron is where the needle is pointing to, and we are floating in space...where do we find "Down Under" ?????

Not wanting to steal your thread Andrew, but could not help my self...

Latest posts

Sponsors