3D pen

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while and the price is'nt bad,thanks for sharing.:thumbsup: J.J.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Oh, I could get into all sorts of trouble around the shop with one of those,:thinking: and like JJ said, "That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a while", or at least so far this year.. ;)

Julia.J

This sure is on the list of things I'd like to test someday- I just hope that the plastic that is in the pen can be recycled at home and then used again.

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Cool pen, but, I don't trust that kickstarter stuff any longer, I am still waiting for my camera Lucida.

Richard.

Andrew Biggs

Looks cool and is extremely clever and will hold your attention for a bit, just like the hoola hoop .............but it's not really any use to anyone. Yes, some will rush out and buy it and have a play.

It's a gimmicky toy with no real practical, or monetary, value on the end product. Just a bit of plastic squirted out the end of a very clever heat gun.

3D art?.......I don't think so.

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew, I can see you have not worked with wax models in casting. If the "ink" will burn out it the burnout kiln it has a lot of potential in a lot of industries that cast parts.

Mike Frakes

I am sorry but I don't really see this as a ground breaking tool. Heck, I can make a bigger mess with my hot glue gun a save money doing it.....LOL.

Mike

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
yeah, so i draw "dirty pictures" in the "air", and the feds get my drawing through telepathic ramifications ! bail money, anybody ? this ,to me, brings ridiculous to a whole level of new.

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
That’s what I love about the forums The narrow minded cynical people that can’t see beyond their own little world in which they reside but then there are non so blind as those that don’t want to see. Or is it just that they are techno phoebes but then someone tried to tell that the world is round but we all know the truth on that one, sorry have to go my woolly mammoth is burning on the BBQ wonderful invention this fire thing. :rolleyes:

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
This particular product may or may not make it to market successfully, but it points to future developments with applications that we can't yet envision.
  • "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." -- Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
  • "I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." -- The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.
  • "But what...is it good for?" -- Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.
  • "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." -- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.
  • "Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value." -- Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think if this is able to be fine tune it has an amazing potential for jewelry designers and waxers. I think this tool has many practical uses in the jewelry industry. The plastic used, if it's the same as a 3-d wax plotter would very castable.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gargoyle, Wonderful examples of short sited minds. On the other hand we can look at mustard gas in a war that would be so divesting that it would be the war to end all wars or the atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb same story. We can go much further back to times when plague infested bodies were hurled over city walls to stop people from resisting the progress of the Mongol Empire. Or the current philosophy that the American way of life is the only way. That our philosophies are the only right ones and that we will happily prove that by superior fire power. All progress has its distractors. Sometimes they are right some times they are wrong. This new technology may find its way into dentistry or various pattern shop applications in foundries. You are right who knows what lies ahead as people explore technology. Fred

kguns

Looks cool and is extremely clever and will hold your attention for a bit, just like the hoola hoop .............but it's not really any use to anyone. Yes, some will rush out and buy it and have a play.

It's a gimmicky toy with no real practical, or monetary, value on the end product. Just a bit of plastic squirted out the end of a very clever heat gun.

3D art?.......I don't think so.

Cheers
Andrew

Well they used to say the same thing about the Gravermeister, look where that went. In the right hands I see an amazing tool, The sad part is you can embrace technology or you can let it run you over. I was formally trained by the best in hammer and chisel, I occasionally pick it up just to remind me where I started and then I see things like this and I can only imagine where we will be in the future.

Andrew Biggs

The patent offices from all over the world have millions of plans for cutting edge technology of the day. Where have all these wonderful inventions disappeared to?? Most have ended up in the black hole of time. I'm sure the visionaries of the day thought they would all change and enrich our lives.

Looks like I was one of the few that actually read the links and the official marketing. It reminds me of all that cheap wire modelling and jewellery that was so popular a few decades ago. I don't see this adding anything to the fashion industry or see a Lix 3D Pen creation hanging in the Louvre anytime soon (or later).

Now if someone could invent a left handed beer glass........that would be really useful. :)

Cheers
Andrew (The Luddite Ranger)

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
My boss is of the mind that "if you're not writing when I'm talking, you're not really in the meeting". This would be an interesting way to make notes. :)

As Marrinan points out, if does burn out and is castable... that would certainly be huge.

Latest posts

Sponsors