Plagiarism

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Not sure about all the copyright facts, I know a particular design can be covered by copyright, but I can't see a style being covered by copyright, if that were the case I could copyright Arabesque scroll and put most of my competition out of business. So I'm not really buying that one. Anyway, it does not matter, we as engravers cannot afford to take legal action, and personally I don't have the time or patience for such a pursuit even if I did have the means. I just thought it was kind of funny, like Chris said "kind of a de ja voo" thing on an earlier discussion we had. Plus I am in good company, this engraver has not only copied me line for line, but also a Sam Alfano design and a Steve Lindsay design. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...0181992.-2207520000.1350514383&type=1&theater

Last edited:

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, if you're happy, then I'm happy. There is no need to drag out information on a topic that's been covered previously here prior to my arrival. Take care.
scottd.

cristiansilva

Let me introduce myself, my name is Cristian Silva. I write here to present my apologies to those offended by my actions, mainly the Master Brian Hochstrat.
On the other hand I proceeded to apologize for and withdraw from my private Facebook profile image.
I need to explain my actions and also ask them to understand the situation and may at the same time ask for your help.
In my country the office of engraver yet a subscriber only and exclusively jewelry metals such as gold and silver. No engravers schools, only very few engravers who teach in their study, unfortunately I have no access to ways to learn this craft. Being only an apprentice, charging little or no money for the engravings as I try to learn
On the other hand I admire his work and I am just starting with my learning, I found the only option being only build on their designs.
With great effort I managed to raise the money to buy the airgraver from Master Lindsay and trying to learn how to force stumble again and again.
I have no ways or means to do otherwise given the economic situation of the region where I live, Argentina.
They are right to say that I am a beginner, but I assure you I'm not a bad person but I'm alone and I need help, so I am writing here and apologizing.

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
What is Jim Cooper's "format"? Mutiple views of the item in one frame? Seems there are a few folk on this forum, and many other forums that use the same idea.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's nothing special regarding that photo format. It's used at length in many industries. Moreover, the drop shadow or double border is a standard Photoshop tool. Multiple views in the same image is very common.

The offender here has apologized directly and publicly. I think that's very commendable. I don't think it's time to pile on here, nor is this the place to do it.

I did some checking on copyrights on my own. It appears all someone has to do is slap the verbage/symbol on their work. Registering it with the government simply allows one to be able to seek damages via legal remedies.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
It appears all someone has to do is slap the verbage/symbol on their work. Registering it with the government simply allows one to be able to seek damages via legal remedies.

Since the Copyright Act of 1989, you don't even need to use the copyright verbage, or symbol, any longer on your work or images of it. Nor do you have to use those symbols, or register your work, to seek legal remedies and damages through the Federal courts. Registration simply makes it easier to address exceptions arguments to your claim should a case arise.

It is still very wise, for many reasons I won't expound on here, to identify your work with copyright symbols and the copyright owner.

Good for you in seeking out some information about it, Bert.
scottd.

Last edited:

mrthe

Chris, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean "they" are not out to get you, hehe.
As I recall, one story is that Fracassi got his Art Nouveau style from the ornament on a house he rented,or passed by, at least that is what Monte Mandarino told me. Monte even had gone to the house and taken some pics.

Barry near to my city where i came from in Italy ,In Pesaro we have a beautyfull example of this style The "Villino Ruggeri" :

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Christiansiva that was a nice post. If you are poor and disadvantaged, I want you to carry on and show us more of your work in the future. I want you to join this group and be one of us.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Cristian is in Argentina. Our US copyright laws are effective here and perhaps with countries that may have agreed to some kind of international copyright governance.

Cristian is not subject to our copyright laws unless he brings work to sell in the US. As far as I know he hasn't, and hasn't expressed any interest in doing so.

Truthfully, I know very little about international copyright law. Maybe someone on this forum does? Here's an opportunity to learn a little about it...

Not much point in castigating Cristian further. He has come on here and publicly apologized, and his apology has been accepted.

We all copy a little in order to learn. I myself was doing pretty fair copies of Sam Welchs scroll style for a year or two after I took his class. After that I tried to imitate Eric Gold. A coupla years ago it was Christian Decamillis... sadly, I found that bulino is not really something I will ever be really good at :(

Waited a bit too long before I seriously tried it, perhaps?

All of this was/is done on practice plates and never offered up for sale. I've learned a lot from doing it.

You copy the work of those you like until you eventually find your own style... and then your style changes as you see where others have taken theirs... never ending process.

As long as you stay within common sense bounds and don't try to make money off of direct copying - it's perfectly "normal".

Brian

Last edited:

cristiansilva

I thank you all for understanding me, and of course I accept to continue participating in this forum, I want to learn this art and I thank you for you time and expertise.
Brian, Thanks for understanding me.

Christopher, the one to make the photo is my wife Valeria. She works hard and is a great professional with many years of experience, and of course I have not charge for their work, both are aware of the sacrifice to pursue our home.
Furthermore, my airgraver is a classic, not a palmcontrol, the cost of the tool is less than half of what you say. Take a long time and work hard to raise the money to buy it. I do not believe that to be evidence of bad faith.
I'm not a poor, helpless boy. But I am someone who wants to learn and live what he can do with his hands, and unfortunately I have no means for me.
Again I ask my apologies and thank you for accepting me

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Cristian,

Welcome to the forum of people how like to learn and do engraving. Most of us arelike you, starters and people who like to make beautiful things in scarcely freetime. It is only given to a very few people to rise above the crowds as a real master.Fortunately we have a few very talented masters here who are happy to share and help.And that is exact where it is all about in this forum.

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

Hola Cristian y bienvenido en este foro internacional....
I know Cristian's scrimshaws since many years , now he has a nice tool and he will soon amaze us with original patterns...

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone: Cristian amigo mio, yo no podre hecharte piedras porque tambien soy un pecador ( copiador digamos ) ;)

Un abrazo

Jean

algym

Elite Cafe Member
La verdad que Cristian tiene toda la razón, no es facil construir el conocimiento solo.
Yo le debo mucho a Jean Santos y Mauricio Daletzky...

Abrazos a todos y a seguir, no tenemos muchas opciones...
Luis

Latest posts

Sponsors