Question: Zippo

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to try engraving a Zippo lighter and was wondering if anyone could tell me which ones that engrave well. I'm leaning towards one of the nice brushed brass lighters. Are they solid brass ?

Thanks

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Yep, the brass ones are superb to engrave, I've done a lot of these. They are solid brass and 'armor' versions are about 1/3 thicker than regular. Actually all Zippos are at first brass and later chromed or otherwise plated.

tengraver

Hi Delder,

I have done a few and have a piece of oak cut to fit tightly inside so as not to deform the metal too much.

delder

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the good info. I like the idea of a piece of wood inside. I wonder if jet set or themo lock would work in place of wood. You might have to surround it with a baggie first to prevent sticking. Just a thought I had. I'll check e-bay , thanks

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
I would like to try engraving a Zippo lighter and was wondering if anyone could tell me which ones that engrave well. I'm leaning towards one of the nice brushed brass lighters. Are they solid brass ?

Thanks

Hi Delder,

After engraving a good number of Zippo lighters, I prefer the High Polished Chrome lighter, either standard or Vintage. (They also sell solid sterling silver Zippos, naturally much more expensive.)

My take about holding it in the block, I use the GRS block, without the top jig holding attachments. I stick a layer of masking tape on both sides of the lighter, that way the polished surfaces won't get scratched by the vise, and also it gives a non-slippery grab on the item. Iwatch to have the hinge of the lighter in the V slot of the vise. This is the fastest and most simple way to have a firm hold of the lighter.

Good luck - Ivan

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I work on the Zippo lighters I leave the guts inside and attach to my centering fixture wood block with either 2 sided duct (carpet) tape or the 2 sided half inch wid foam tape- never had trouble with either-Fred

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
After engraving a good number of Zippo lighters, I prefer the High Polished Chrome lighter, either standard or Vintage.

Ivan, doesn't the chrome plating start to flake after some time? And I assume the base material is still brass, right? I saw some video about Zippo factory and their manufacturing and from there I remember that all lighters are initially brass and later plated etc.

Viljo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
After doing one chrome one years ago I swore I'd never do another. I don't like that hard skin with a soft base metal underneath. I just can't do my best work on it.
Viljo: As far as I know all Zippos are brass.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well I don’t know witch Zippo this is, sure it was a very shiny one.
I didn’t think about the fact that it could be to hard, as it was one of the first paying jobs I did for a customer.
However, it cut nicely so probably it was not a hard chromed one

arnaud

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Ivan, doesn't the chrome plating start to flake after some time? And I assume the base material is still brass, right? I saw some video about Zippo factory and their manufacturing and from there I remember that all lighters are initially brass and later plated etc.

Viljo

Viljo, I never had a problem with that. Usually the plating tends to peel if the material was not properly cleaned before plating, or the system did not have the sufficient strength for the galvanic process. Zippos are well made, they have a long history of doing it... Indeed, the material underneath is brass, so the engraving will show up in yellow. (Whoa! I did not know you can engrave gold letters!)

Greetings - Ivan

Last edited:

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
After doing one chrome one years ago I swore I'd never do another. I don't like that hard skin with a soft base metal underneath. I just can't do my best work on it.
Viljo: As far as I know all Zippos are brass.

Sam,

The plating is a very thin layer on the brass surface. Of course, the crome is the most unfriendly material for shallow cut hair lines. I always cut the Zippos deep enough to know, that the tool's tip is well in the brass, so to say ignoring the plating. (I just lift my elbow at starting the cuts.)

Greetings - Ivan

Attachments

• zipp.jpg
    zipp.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 74

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
Well I don’t know witch Zippo this is, sure it was a very shiny one.
I didn’t think about the fact that it could be to hard, as it was one of the first paying jobs I did for a customer.
However, it cut nicely so probably it was not a hard chromed one

arnaud

Arnaud,

If Love is triumphant over all, how come that it can not win over the nicotine habit?

Greetings - Ivan

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
if i'm not mistaken, i think they are also producing copper versions of their famous product. i've machine engraved the chrome ones, the brass are very nice to work by hand.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, they discontinued the copper version about 2 months ago. One client wanted engraving on a copper Zippo and it just had disappeared from online shops, had to go with brass.

About chrome plating, I did one guitar pickup cover that was chrome plated and it was really nice to engrave. Even very fine lines worked out well. I guess I just have to try one Zippo too :)

if i'm not mistaken, i think they are also producing copper versions of their famous product. i've machine engraved the chrome ones, the brass are very nice to work by hand.

Latest posts

Sponsors