You might be an engraver if...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
years ago i lapsed into the habit of just saying i'm an artist, following up the predictable "What kind of art do you do? Painting? Sculpture?", with something vague like "I work in metal- jewelry and stuff..." -and then change the subject. my wife has learned that unless they're 'gun/knife/jewelry people' to not encourage them, either.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yep Weldon, heard'em all.. and yes Mitch, tried the artist nome de guerre too.....

Good to see fellow suffers. dang it Sam, this forum is better than seeing a physchitrist!

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just tell most people (after I shake their hand) that I handle nuclear and toxic waste for the government.
After that, firearms engraver doesn't sound so odd.

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
I used to be a potter for over thirty years before I took up spur making and engraving exclusively, and used to get
"Oh, is that like ceramics? My grandmother used to make ceramics too" Now when I tell them I'm a spur maker and engraver, I just get stares, no replies :) I think maybe I'll tell people I work in the deli!
Paul

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I try to avoid a long, detailed explanation of what it is I do so the inquirer doesn't lapse into a coma, but at the same time we need to educate the public about our art. If someone shows genuine interest and/or seems to understand what I'm talking about, I'm apt to hang with it longer.

Ron Jr.

Elite Cafe Member
I try to avoid a long, detailed explanation of what it is I do so the inquirer doesn't lapse into a coma, but at the same time we need to educate the public about our art. If someone shows genuine interest and/or seems to understand what I'm talking about, I'm apt to hang with it longer.

I don't know about engraving but I've had the best luck explaining scrim with "It's kinda like tattooing on ivory instead of skin".

Hope this helps some of my fellow scrim artists!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"I don't know about engraving but I've had the best luck explaining scrim with "It's kinda like tattooing on ivory instead of skin". "

at the Blade Show a few months ago i was chatting with Katherine Plumer and i asked her if people ever suggest she take up tattooing? she said, "All the time!" - but the very idea of doing that on somebody creeps her out. we were of a like mind on the subject.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
You might be an engraver if... you reheat the same mug of coffee four times before reaching the bottom!!

(Or maybe that's just me!) :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You might be an engraver if... all your family members have learned to knock very very gently on the door before opening it.

You might be an engraver if... your eyes are tired from staring through the scope and your right hand is stiff from the graver 'death grip' you've been holding all day, your neck is stiff, and all you want to do is get a little bit more done.

mgdesigns

You might be an engraver if....while bicycling, every scrap of metal of the side of the road makes you stop and pick it up with a new project in mind.

You might be an engraver if....the drawers of your engraving bench are stuffed full of scraps of metal you picked up while bicycling.

Sam

Staff member
You might be an engraver if you whip out your mobile phone to snap a picture of scrollwork on a building, piece of carved furniture, drapery, or carpet.

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
You might be an engraver if you dream of working on a beautiful over under shotgun, and it has beautiful scroll work and gold inlay.... and when you wake up you try to go back to sleep so you can get a better look at the intricate detail of the design..

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
.....if people look at your work and exclaim "How did you do that!"

.....if you really need to go to the bathroom and you just have to shade this next element and almost pee your pant in the process!

Sam

Staff member
You might be an engraver if...your friends say "Oh, you're an engraver? Can you melt down my grandmother's ring" or "can you fix my broken chain" or "can you resize my ring?"

Latest posts

Sponsors