WWI Military Engraving?

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Artillery pw.jpg

This is a Waltham dress pocket watch, made around World War I or later.

Trying to figure what the engraving represents, and if it adds value to the watch.

Don't know what is going on at the top, and what seems to be a post going thru the "A".

Also, no other names etc engraved on the watch.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Yes, I figured it had something to do with artillery. Hoping for something more specific.

And what are the things that look like wings above the eagle, but not part of the eagle.

And why the gear on the crossing of the "A"?

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
By the symbolism I would read it's thus; crossed cannons and capital "A" - Artillery, the anchor would be naval or Amphibious (perhaps part of the "A", the gear on the letter a would be "mechanized", the arrows would be a strike force, the eagle is the national symbol and it is grasping a cannon ball in its right talons. I don't know of any military unit that would have had this one symbol in its completeness, however, it could be a piece that was engraved for a service member based on his service! Provenance of this watch would be a worthwhile research project. I would wager the watch belonged to a former Officer. JMO

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
After doing a little research this watch may have belonged to someone attached to the 11th Marine Regiment who saw action in the Battle of Belleu Wood (WWI) or who was attached to I Marine Amphibious Corp (III Marine Expeditionary Force - present designation) during WWII. The eagle may be clutching a globe in its right talons. Eagle, Globe, Anchor = US Marines.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
interesting piece. shown are most of the military elements. none would seem to dominate. it is mindful, to me, of the "budweiser" badge worn by current-day navy seals. symbolic of their activities in the sea, in the air, and on land.
i see 2 parallel scratches by tthe left leg of the eagle. perhaps this design was created one way, and then later changed. otherwise, how to explain the 2 marks. fwiw, i'd sure enjoy finding out more about this work. as for the engraving adding to the value of the watch--- that would depend on the known history of the watch. who did it ? who owned it ? why the particular design ? etc

Riflesmith

Elite Cafe Member
I would agree with you Monk on the head of the eagle, however, every SEAL/UDT knows the head is always point down...a symbol for humility and clandestine warfare.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
At first glance I thought someone took the Anheuser-Busch logo and added some military items to create this :)

Donny.................( maybe to much product research)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i also noticed the right leg of the eagle-- there's a portion of the leg that appears quite out of place. that, combined with the parallel lines-- i'm thinkin this was a real rush job. i also noticed a third line, above the parallel ones. they seem to align very closely to the shape of the letter. all this just makes me more & more curious about the piece.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
After doing a little research this watch may have belonged to someone attached to the 11th Marine Regiment who saw action in the Battle of Belleu Wood (WWI) or who was attached to I Marine Amphibious Corp (III Marine Expeditionary Force - present designation) during WWII. The eagle may be clutching a globe in its right talons. Eagle, Globe, Anchor = US Marines.

Wow Riflesmith! Thanks for this info and your info in your other posts. What you are saying makes sense.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
i also noticed the right leg of the eagle-- there's a portion of the leg that appears quite out of place. that, combined with the parallel lines-- i'm thinkin this was a real rush job. i also noticed a third line, above the parallel ones. they seem to align very closely to the shape of the letter. all this just makes me more & more curious about the piece.

Monk, I enlarged the picture I was sent, and I also don't know what is going on with the eagles legs etc even though enlarged the picture is still sharp.

Not so sure this was a rush job. From talking to oldtimers in the jewelry business, most engravers were under time pressure all the time, unless they worked for a top jeweler like Tiffany, Caldwell etc.

I wonder if the the engraver was given a logo to copy, or he drew this himself based on what the customer wanted.

And thanks for your thoughts Monk.

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
I think the A stands for America, the other symbols give reference to the Army, the Navy and the Marines. In one claw of the eagle is a ball symbolizing the globe, the other claw looks like what I called an "AWOL" bag or ditty bag, maybe a duffle bag.

Latest posts

Sponsors