Question: Wriggling gravers...how do you sharpen?

Yossi

try putting a small 45 degree bevel on the sides of the belly/heel. I found this helps give the wriggle cut some extra "slide" which gives that beautiful "zipper" look and also seems to prevent slipping (maybe because the corners don't chip off as easily)

Hi,
Just came across this post (during my daily plow of this tremendous forum) and I'd like to understand a little clearer on how to get that zipper look. I've tried all sorts of techniques during the wriggle itself, including purposely dragging (ie less side to side rocking per forward motion) but it doesn't give me exactly what I'm looking for. It seems that this side bevel might be the answer but I don't quite get it.

By the way, I've found that finishing the underside of the graver (where the heel would be) with coarse sandpaper (80 grit) gives a more interesting drag mark.
I wriggle lettering a lot and I'm of the opinion that no heel is imperative for preventing slipping. Could be because the geometry is tighter, digging into the metal easier. In that case a heel would be ok if you lower the face angle accordingly. But for a comfortable wrist position, I think it's easier without, or else you have your hand right up to enter the metal and wriggle away.