Question: Work Holding Setup for Revolvers/1911s

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Nice vise, Donny! I saw in another thread that someone took over the mfg'r of those vises. Do you, or anyone else, have any contact info for the new mfg'er? Just checking.

I haven't decided on a vise yet. I'd sure like to see the Magnablock and the Goliath side by side... but that's not going to happen.

Thanks for the picture. I'm seriously jealous. :)
br.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The Victor was originally made by A. D. Muehlmatt in Cincinnati. They were later made by a different company. My vise is a Vigor which is a Japanese copy of the Victor. I have been using it since 1977. I believe the Pepe vises made in Turkey are pretty much like the Victor.

I had one of those Letourneau vises but found it way too cumbersome for the way I work. I traded it for a GRS low profile vise to use for heavy items.

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
My Victor vise was bought new by my Grandfather back in the 1920's..... It's still bringing home the bacon :)

I really appreciate guys who honor their lineage with the care and use of tools past down. I also have quite a few tools from my grandfather, and my father, albeit, neither used them much! Luckily for me, they knew and bought good tools and I was the benefactor. :)

The ones I don't use still today, adorn my shop area and remind me of them. I'm sure your vise is the same. Kudos for carrying on the tradition.

Roger: How do you like that GRS Low Profile? I'm sure you work with a scope, at least at times, is that a better choice than the Magnablock if a scope is in the future? I know I'll be adding one, but I won't want to buy a new vise when I do. Just wondered what you're review is of the one you use.
br.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Big Ransom

The difference between a Magnablock and a low profile vise is the weight. The low profile is 20lbs and the magnablock is 30lbs…………..Or if you really want to build your arm muscles up then try the positioning vise at a mere 42lbs

As a general holding fixture I'm a big fan of the low profile vise for day to day work and use it a lot for watches, knives, jewellery and smaller gun parts etc etc. However, there are times where weight and mass matter, especially cutting big awkward gun parts like actions etc etc. The magnablock is a beast to push around but it also means that you can start putting a lot of pressure on the parts being engraved and the vise will be stable and hold its position. The magnablock is also great for long barrels etc etc. as it won't tip over easily.

The trick with the microscope is that you set up your scope and then pretty much lock it down. So this means you are always sitting in the same comfortable position………….the thing you change is your working height. This is why many engravers have an old drill press stand. You raise and lower the work. Not the scope…..the scope is only raised and lowered slightly for focusing purposes and this is done via the microscope stand.

So it doesn't matter if the vise is low profile or not……what is important is what you are using the vise for. Too heavy and you will fatigue your arms by pushing it around all day and too light and you will be constantly fighting your vise to keep it in position.

For general use, then the low profile is great. Bigger items like gun actions, barrels etc etc then a magnablock or positioning vise is the way to go……….If you only want one vise for everything you are better erring on the side of weight and mass.

When you get a microscope the two most important things that you need to go with it are…………… a turntable and a method of raising and lowering the work (e.g. drill press stand)

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers
Andrew

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Big Ransom

The difference between a Magnablock and a low profile vise is the weight. The low profile is 20lbs and the magnablock is 30lbs…………..Or if you really want to build your arm muscles up then try the positioning vise at a mere 42lbs

As a general holding fixture I'm a big fan of the low profile vise for day to day work and use it a lot for watches, knives, jewellery and smaller gun parts etc etc. However, there are times where weight and mass matter, especially cutting big awkward gun parts like actions etc etc. The magnablock is a beast to push around but it also means that you can start putting a lot of pressure on the parts being engraved and the vise will be stable and hold its position. The magnablock is also great for long barrels etc etc. as it won't tip over easily.

The trick with the microscope is that you set up your scope and then pretty much lock it down. So this means you are always sitting in the same comfortable position………….the thing you change is your working height. This is why many engravers have an old drill press stand. You raise and lower the work. Not the scope…..the scope is only raised and lowered slightly for focusing purposes and this is done via the microscope stand.

So it doesn't matter if the vise is low profile or not……what is important is what you are using the vise for. Too heavy and you will fatigue your arms by pushing it around all day and too light and you will be constantly fighting your vise to keep it in position.

For general use, then the low profile is great. Bigger items like gun actions, barrels etc etc then a magnablock or positioning vise is the way to go……….If you only want one vise for everything you are better erring on the side of weight and mass.

When you get a microscope the two most important things that you need to go with it are…………… a turntable and a method of raising and lowering the work (e.g. drill press stand)

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers
Andrew

Thanks Andrew! Very good rundown on the setup and that helps immensely. Much appreciated.
br.

Latest posts

Sponsors