Willian Henry Knife 'Makara'

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

This is a knife I recently finished for William Henry Studio.
I've always enjoyed artwork where there's lots going on, so I have to admit to really enjoy the time spent on this piece. :)

'Makara'

This fearsome monster is a feature of Eastern Asian folklore and religion. An aquatic beast that is half fish and half animal, they are often depicted as combining the open toothy jaws of a crocodile, elephant trunks & serpent-like scales. They are said to be water guardians, providing protection against evil spirits, whilst symbolizing the source of all existence and fertility.

The reverse side of this piece continues this theme, including another character of legend; The Ganga. A mighty deity associated with the Ganges river, he will ride the monster and release the souls of his ancestors from captivity.

Hope you like, and thanks for looking! :)

Jo

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jo,Those are some scarry critters on that knife and looks fantastic.:thumbsup:J.J.

Last edited:

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Lovely. I was surprised to hear it is your design Jo. I assumed that you would have been sent the design. I bet it took longer to come up with a design to your satisfaction than it did to engrave. That would be a task in itself. Well done.

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you again guys.

Phil... yep, there were quite a few 'paper' variants and trials with this one, but I do enjoy that aspect of it... most of the time! :)
One thing I have noticed is whilst I'm designing, there comes a time (sooner or later) in the process where I start getting excited to start cutting it. That's the time when I feel the design is going the right way. If I have any doubts at all in any one area, then I know it's not quite right yet.

I think I need to start buying shares in pencil lead and paper... and maybe double shares in erasers! ;)

Jo

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you have a talent sadly missing in most folks- true, artistic inspiration. notwithstanding the ability to get it out on your canvas of choice.

Latest posts

Sponsors