William Henry Steampunk Viperfish Engraving

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Seems like forever I've been working on a major project for William Henry Studios - a steampunk suite for one of their B12 model folding knives. Here’s the beauty shot. The details: William Henry model B12 scales, 4 inches long 416 stainless steel, hand engraved with 24 karat gold and copper inlays.

Lots of fun, I learned a lot and sharpened my technique. Look for more steampunk themes in the near future!

William_Henry_B12_Viperfish_116.JPG

You can see a goodly number of in-progress photos at my blog, and my Instagram and Facebook pages.

Thanks for looking!

Tom

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
an excellent job. i feel sorry for the little fish ! looks like he's to become a snack.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the kind words folks, you obviously have sweet spots in your hearts for steampunk! Glad you like these.

Tom

How are you going to control the oxidation on the copper inlays?

Hi md, I don't worry about copper oxidizing. I just give it a good coat of Renaissance Wax, and tell anybody who asks that a little gently applied pink pencil eraser will bring the copper back to shiny. I also will "freshen" my work for free as long as I'm physically and mentally able. Copper oxidizing to brown will still look good on these designs.

I like to think that the creation of my work doesn't stop with me - time and client wear and tear are all part of the process, and I hope the great-grandkids will still be fighting over who gets Gramps' old engraved knife. Some of my most favorite possessions are Japanese netsuke that have seen quite a bit of action over a couple hundred years, and age and wear have only improved them!

Tom

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I like to think that the creation of my work doesn't stop with me - time and client wear and tear are all part of the process, and I hope the great-grandkids will still be fighting over who gets Gramps' old engraved knife.

Tom

I like that philosophy.:)

Steampunk is fun, tattoo style is fun, It's nice to see something different :thumbup:

Now for a dumb question: I saw some small rolls of copper wire in the local DIY, is that ok as it is or do you need to anneal?

RDP

Elite Cafe Member
Love your work Tom, as I said before, I allways learn from your posts, congratulations, on an excellent piece, :thumbsup:

Richard.

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Now for a dumb question: I saw some small rolls of copper wire in the local DIY, is that ok as it is or do you need to anneal?

Hi Chris,

Copper electrical wire works fine, but you always need to anneal it. Copper work hardens VERY quickly. I did try some small diameter copper wire meant for crafts, and it wouldn't inlay well at all. It seemed soft, but I couldn't get it to "grab" the undercuts. Electrical wire worked just fine in the same cuts. It was probably only copper colored, and not good quality copper metal, so it depends on what you've got in the DIY.

As a hint, heat the copper wire to red, then quench it in a centimeter of rubbing alcohol (the kind from from the pharmacy). Most, if not all, of the heat scale will be exploded off the surface, leaving it nice and clean. Use a metal container, and be prepared to deal with a fire if the alcohol should ignite. It hasn't happened to me yet, but flame, red hot metal, and alcohol just seem like good reasons to be cautious!

Good luck!

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors