William Henry - Beowolf

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks,

This is a knife which I recently finished for William Henry Studio.

It's called...

'Beowolf'

Some 1,400 years ago, there lived a legendary fighter and explorer named Beowolf. His tale recounts that he journeyed across the seas to come to aid of the king of Denmark, who was beset by a fearsome monster,known as the Grendel. After slaying the Grendel, the beast’s mother also came seeking vengeance and was also vanquished by Beowolf, in an epic hand-to-hand struggle. Years later, now crowned as a King in Scandinavia, he died heroically, in the course of slaying a Dragon. He was buried with honour & centuries later,his stories recorded in an epic manuscript.

In 1939, an entire Viking ship was found, buried at Sutton Hoo in the south of England. Archaeologists were amazed to find it contained the body of a great king, lying in state, surrounded by fantastic treasures, armour and weapons. More and more evidence emerged that this was indeed the final resting place of the hero upon whom the fable was based.

His sword belt was secured by a great golden buckle, carved with workmanship unmatched by any other treasure from this period. These designs have now been brought through the ages, to grace a knife that celebrates one of the greatest heros of Norse saga.

Thanks for looking,

Jo

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Joanne for sharing your beautiful work with us. Your artistic vision never fails to amaze me. I enjoy your web site as well. Fred

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a real kaleidoscopic beauty ! you're just about ready to de-throne andrew as our duty storyteller too !

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jo,

This is yet another of your masterworks that is truly inspiring in every way, cut to perfection. Congratulations!

Much as we Scots and Irish have our cherished hoards from antiquity, I could not agree more with you about the Sutton Hoo find. Those of us who have admired the treasures up close at the British Museum must agree the belt buckle (see below) you mention is stunning in design and execution. I would venture to suggest, were this Beowolf knife found in the Sutton Woo hoard it would be displayed today, without hesitation, along with the ancient objects. It is a very fine piece of work.

For those of us who want to immerse ourselves in the tale of Beowolf, as we work at our bench, we could not do better than to go to this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaB0trCztM0

to listen, or to listen and watch, as Ireland's late, great Nobel Laureate Poet, Sheamus Heaney recites the tale, as only he can.

You are on a roll, Jo!

best wishes

Rod

Attachments

• 800px-Great_Buckle.JPG
    800px-Great_Buckle.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys.

This one was a lot of fun to do, especially because of the history with the original design.
Amazing they could produce this kind of detail back then.

Rod, thanks for your comments and Sheamus' link, I listened to the first part today.

And a special thanks to Marcus, for introducing me to Sutton Hoo in the first place.
Definitely planning to visit the British museum, to see the buckle in person, next time I'm in London! :)

Thanks again,

Jo

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors