Will I be in the new book of American Engravers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman Knives

Since I invented full color Bulino engraving over 17 years ago I have had very little recognition about it or as a good engraver. It has always puzzled me. To this day nobody in the world has been able to duplicate the photo realistic look I have achieved!
I even had a piece critiqued at this years engrave in and they seemed very impressed. Here is a sample of a gorgeous tiger i did last year. I believe I deserve to be in the American Engravers book:(

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First let me say that I love to look at your work and I think that you are a very talented engraver. In response to your post, generally speaking, secrets are seldom recognized and soon forgotten.

Herman Knives

Well it just seems rather unfair to me, sorry! I have been engraving my own and other makers knives for 35 years and a little recognition would be nice.

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Well it just seems rather unfair to me, sorry! I have been engraving my own and other makers knives for 35 years and a little recognition would be nice.

I don't know how the engravers were all chosen nor how the research was done. But, I imagine there are a lot of engravers that could have been in the book that aren't and wish they could have been. :eek:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I hear you but politics also plays a roll and maybe you did not play the game. I think there are a lot of good engravers that didn't get printed. If so, the book would be huge. Either way I would love to watch you work sometime. I am amazed at your stuff. Please do a video or put on a class.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, I believe the first and foremost requirement for book entrance was firearms engraving skills. Other objects were accepted or encouraged, but you had to have been a gun engraver.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I suppose in the broad view you are right Tim, but given that Roger's first book about firearms engravers was called American Engravers and now his second book on the subject (three decades later) is also the fourth book in a series of firearms engraver books, it only seemed natural to give it the name American Engravers the 21rst Century

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Hey, there's always next century. Seriously though, I doubt there was ever a comprehensive and complete list ever made of anything. It seems this sort of thing will always forget to mention someone. I for one have you placed very high on my own personal list of the top engravers and will always be grateful for the help you have given me.

Herman Knives

Haraga, I have thought of making a video class on teaching my color engraving technique but need some financial backing for the videotographer to fly here to my studio and film a piece being color engraved. There was one that interviewed me at Scott's engrave-in this year and I got his contact information. I would need to pay to fly him here and put him up for about a week to film a piece in progress. I would love to do it as I think it is time to share this superb technique for full color bulino engraving.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
`Tim, Your a true artist,I know you don't need a computer to generate your art. J.J.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It would be a shame for you techniques to die with you. Don't wait too long. If you are short of money, let us know, maybe we can help out.

Herman Knives

Haraga, as I said I need financial backing to do the video. I talked with Kim Pember at GRS and they would be happy to distribute it for me and that's just great! Worldwide distribution from the company that got me started engraving 35 years ago! Don Glaser was a great help along with the Gravermeister.

J.J. thank you for the kind words, being an airbrush artist all my life helped a bunch in developing the color technique.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tim

You have been recognized in several printed publications with your knife engraving.

Shouldn't we be celebrating the artists that have made it into the book.............. instead of complaining about those that haven't.?

As for politics.........what politics?? This is Rogers book and he and the publishers have to make the call and decide what the criteria is. These are their decisions to make, not ours to debate.

We should also be thanking people like Roger and Steve that spend the time and money to promote the art of engraving. It helps raise public and client awareness which can only be a good thing for the whole engraving community.

Cheers
Andrew

Herman Knives

Andrew, I didn't mention politics at all and yes I am happy for those in the book, I just think that all good American engravers should be included. The first edition has many more engravers shown and it isn't a huge book.

I do thank everyone who promotes our art and will continue to do so.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't want to hijack this thread so for those that haven't read my article about the book and the selection process in the most recent edition of The Engraver, I will open a seperate thread about it.

Roger

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim, Don't feel so bad about not being famous,I have been engraving for over 30 yrs and not been recognized for all of my efforts either,well except that I have made a living out of it and it allows me to explore many avenues in metal arts and I get to fish more than most guys too.Not bad I'd say.But just in case,I'll give you a great big attaboy and I sincerly wish you all the best in the future.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Sponsors