Question: While we are on the newbie subject....

AdVirMachina

What are scrolls supposed to represent, anyhow? I've watched Sam Alfano's video on scrolls several times and while I understand the mechanics of drawing one, I have no idea what it is. Acanthus vine? What has knobs on it like the ones Sam shoes how to draw?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
foilage-- living plants- usually growing out of a place and flowing to a place. hopefully in graceful fashion. some scroll contains 'fantasy" elements, not meant to represent plants growing in the real world. whatever, it's all supposed to have a good "flow" to it, without lumps, bumps, or flat spots.most advanced engravers include elements of fantasy in their work. look in the archive-- it's quite populated with real simple, to the ultra fantasy styles of design. my advice to newbies is to avoid thinking of the highly complex design.. their best efforts, i think, is to concentrate on good elementary design. then one can move on with the more complex stuff. to do good scroll at amy level, it must come out of your pencil without much thought. if you have to think too much, that's usually a sign that you're not really comfortable drawing. too much thought will usually show in your work. this doen not mean chaotic layout. rather, it's being comfortable producing good design layouts.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors