Question: Which way is the proper and better way to hold the graver?

bidilover

Hi,

I am new to engraving and I'll soon purchase a Lindsay classic airgraver and I'm wondering in which way of these would be better way to hold the graver from the start... in the picture is attached the seemingly most common way of holding the graver

and in this video a person is holding the graver differently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VS9k00pHtM

any help is highly appreciated engraving hold.jpg

mrthe

Is the same way to hold the tool, but in the photo you see it from the bottom and in the video from the upper.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I would expect there would have to be different ways for different hands to maximize control. I always do what feels to give me the most confidence in the motion. If you are working on something expensive and you feel insecure about a technique that a teacher said was right chances are you will be better off doing what makes you feel in control. Making art is all about control. Being out of control leads to error. In fact I would go so far as to say it is paramount to question everything a teacher says in adapting a technique to yourself. I have seen teachers blankly stating that "this is the right way to do it" even though my control would be greatly compromised if I were to try to follow their technique. This is a do what works for you moment.

Last edited:

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are a bazillion photos and video on the web showing the way people hold their tools. Watch a few vids on utube...

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I changed all three of my Lindsay handpieces that work off a foot pedal where the hose come out the back of the handpieces instead of the side,works great.:thumbsup: J.J.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you must work in comfort, eliminating fatigue. eventually you'll find the "sweet spot" that works for you. unbelievable as it may seem, holding the engraver in an uncomfortable manner can cause cramping in your hand if you're at the bench for extended periods. when i first started, i used a "death grip" on the graver handle. after a time, i'd have to peel my fingers off the handle to put it down. with the air assist, fortunately one need just relax and let the tool do the work.

bidilover

Yes this seems to be more reasonable to find the "sweet spot" yourself... thanks a lot for the input!

Latest posts

Sponsors