Which Palm Vise?

When I started out there wasn’t the mass of info now. No social media, cell phones (gasp).
there was books. I learned myself from Neil Hartliep NRA book he had a potters wheel vise .and Lynton McKenzie cd,s.
View attachment 51439 I made one from a used Southbend 4 jaw lathe Chuck. It will hold just about anything And is rock solid. I paid $50 for it. You can see it in this pic along with a bunch of other stuff.
Pretty cool. A lot to learn for me. But enjoying the adventure.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Hi John & JJ,
Neil’s softcover spiral bound book was/ is a great resource. I had Meeks book too as well but Neil’s easier to understand at least for me.
aint gettin rid of the “vise” anytime soon.
I started making long rifles & engraving the furniture is part of the art.

Good day, everyone;
I am really enjoying the forum. I just started in the world of engraving. I am stuck on what palm vise to buy. I know I want one that will work well with a microscope when I decide to buy one. I am looking at GRS and Steve Lindsey site. Will the 12lb Low jaw version be a good buy for someone that wants to engrave knives and small stuff for now. Or should I buy bigger in anticipation of doing other things later? I would like to stay under the $1000.00 mark for now. Thank you.
Hi,I would get the small block with attachments goes for about 600.from GRS.i just bought one and it's a beautiful thing with my scope.Hope this helps.Bob

Latest posts

Sponsors