Question: Which Microscope do you use?

mrthe

The question is not only for curiosity,but maybe to have a guide and a visual reference for me and all the folks of the forum,which microscope do you use for engraving?
Will be great that everyone that will answer to this post will put a photo of his microscope setup,with some addictional info,like the working distance,eyepieces,zoom range,ecc....
In the next months i want upgrade my scope and will be a great help for me ( and i think for other folks too)
Thank you very much

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leica mz6 Hollogen light, screwed a post to the underside of my bench so I could lower this scope low enough so I could comfortably look through the eyepieces. Ground a diopter lens to shape to fit in the lens, serves as an objective lens. Next up I need to get an rhino mic wedge.
I'm about an inch away from comfort on this thing.
Mostly stick to bare eye-balls.

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Would there be a reason why fluorescent over halogen? Beside the massive unit that accompanies the "light"?
It seemed , to me , to focus more directly on the work area. But I didn't do a side by side taste test

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Would there be a reason why fluorescent over halogen? Beside the massive unit that accompanies the "light"?
It seemed , to me , to focus more directly on the work area. But I didn't do a side by side taste test

For me, it's not simply a matter of the amount of light. My fluorescent ring light acts as a photographic softbox to a certain degree, not only illuminating the work, but giving the work a white surface from above to reflect. The reason I can't feel the love for LED ring lights is because of the pinpoints of light that reflect back from whatever I'm engraving. I much prefer the smooth look from a fluorescent bulb above my my work. I also have a side mounted flexible arm LED which I use on occasion when I need side light, but my main light source is fluorescent.

Halogen can make a nice side light, but the heat is something I don't want to deal with.

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
im looking therogh the meiji EMZ5 as well, but with the led ring lite. like sam mentioned the little pinpoints of light looking back at you are annoying, but i started just dabbing modeling clay on the surface to reduce the glair, and thats been working fine for me so far.

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
Ya Xun AK09

made in

working distance: 115mm
eyepieces: 2X3 , 2X5 , 2X10
zoom range X6 - X40

This microscope is very cheap, but I can not guess for another advantage

For wood and bone is good, for metal may be desired more...

...rather NO

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Leica S6E with a Dazor fluorescent ring (magnifying lens removed). my reasons for using fluorescent are much the same as Sam's. also it illuminates over a broader area, whereas LED ring lights tend to be pretty small diameter. i used to have a dimmable fiber optic ring, but it made blinding reflections when whatever i was working on hit just the right (wrong?) angle. like looking at the sun.

i also have a Leica S6 for bulino work in a special custom set-up. i use a bank of fluorescents and a diffuser panel for nice, bright "north light" 24/7/365...

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I have a Zeiss setup the same as Sams and it is dream to work under.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Get out quick Chujybear there is an alien in a space helmet behind your bench! He really made a mess too, I wonder what he was looking for?

Bob

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
I have a scienscope. You see it mounted atop a roll-around cart. This allows for ease of use in different locations. The cart you see is the 3rd version i built of welded amgle iron. Yes, i finally got it right. The vise sits on a steel plate i welded onto a massive industrial screw which allows me to adjust for parts of different heights. It also absorbs vibration rather nicely when doing hammer work. Illumination by a snap on brand pocket led light. It was $65 bucks, but i bought it because it's very close to natural daylight. The light is powered by a small cell phone charger. All home cooking here, but it's exactly tuned to my needs and way of working.

Attachments

• SCOPE CART.jpg
    SCOPE CART.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 154

CJ Allan

Elite Cafe Member
Olympus SZ-III

Stand made from......
Harley Sportster front end tube....
Fence post coupler...
High School Science class Alum Rod......
Tin can filled with lead for counterbalance......
A couple pieces of Aluminum I machined to attach Scope to stand........
& a cast iron thing to mount the whole thing to my bench...............

Oh, Yeah.....& a Fluorescent light ring..........

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
This is my microscope set-up. It's a zoom Am-Scope from E-bay .5 obj. and florescent tube light , a drill press stand with a tilting magnetic mount and a Lindsay Turntable and Low Profile vise. Works like a charm, no complaints so far.

Last edited:

Jeroen

Here is mine: a Bausch & Lomb, an ex-stone-setters stereo-zoom, with fluorescent ring light.

Jeroen

Attachments

• 100_3198.jpg
    100_3198.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Sponsors