Which compressor for GraverMach?

EmmaF

This is my first post here. Hello everyone! My trusty Sil-Air compressor has recently died after over a decade of constant work and I’m in the market for a new silent compressor (40db). I’m running it with a GRS GraverMach. I have it down to a choice between a GRS VAL-AIR (https://www.hswalsh.com/product/grs-val-air-compressor-004-678-220) at around $2600 Australian including shipping from the UK ($1740 USD) or a compressor from Jun-Air which I’ve heard will be more expensive. I’ve heard the Jun-Air compressors are very good but am a bit nervous to diverge from the GRS recommended compressor. Keen to hear your thoughts! Thanks :)

pkroyer

On their site GRS sells and apparently recommends the California Air Tools 4610AC Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor. I have one and it runs the GraverMach well. I am sure it is not as quiet or durable as the Sil-Air or the Val- Air compressors, it is less than one third the cost of shipping. While you probably do not want to order this from GRS, you might be able to find a similar oil free quiet compressor in Australia.
If you got ten years of constant use out of your compressor, you probably want to go with something of similar cost and quality. You might look to compressors supplied to dental or medical offices. The cheaper oil free unit might work until you can get one shipped from wherever and then have a backup.

wild willie

This is my first post here. Hello everyone! My trusty Sil-Air compressor has recently died after over a decade of constant work and I’m in the market for a new silent compressor (40db). I’m running it with a GRS GraverMach. I have it down to a choice between a GRS VAL-AIR (https://www.hswalsh.com/product/grs-val-air-compressor-004-678-220) at around $2600 Australian including shipping from the UK ($1740 USD) or a compressor from Jun-Air which I’ve heard will be more expensive. I’ve heard the Jun-Air compressors are very good but am a bit nervous to diverge from the GRS recommended compressor. Keen to hear your thoughts! Thanks :)
do u have your compressor close to u or can u put it in another room?

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Diverge

The thing about buying from anywhere in North America is that it has to travel all the way to Australia. Lot of pounds/kgs going a long distance. A lot of money. Depending on how its shipped could be a lot of time. And probably a customs tariff as well.

All air compressors compress air. Some very quietly, some incredibly startlingly loud. But they all compress air. Buy local. They must sell a quiet air compressor in Australia. If they don't, find one that's quieter than the normal industrial air compressor. And like Wild Willie said, with a longer hose you can put it in another room.

I had a student who used her husbands extra air compressor, which was incredibly loud. She was using a Lindsay air graver and the compressor hose was very, very long. She had to put it outside the house where you could barely hear it running. But the airgraver ran just as it should with no problems. Just go to the local hardware store and ask for a compressor, tell them what you need and see what they have. Get it that day if possible and get back to work.

BTW...welcome to the forum

Allan

Rsepton7230

On their site GRS sells and apparently recommends the California Air Tools 4610AC Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free Air Compressor. I have one and it runs the GraverMach well. I am sure it is not as quiet or durable as the Sil-Air or the Val- Air compressors, it is less than one third the cost of shipping. While you probably do not want to order this from GRS, you might be able to find a similar oil free quiet compressor in Australia.
If you got ten years of constant use out of your compressor, you probably want to go with something of similar cost and quality. You might look to compressors supplied to dental or medical offices. The cheaper oil free unit might work until you can get one shipped from wherever and then have a backup.
Do you think that California air compressor would run a Graversmith as well? I'm balling on a budget myself.

Rsepton7230

Yes it would. Just remember that it is probably not a compressor for the ages. GRS does sell them. I have bought them from Home Depot and Lowes. You can buy direct from California Air, and they may have blems on sale.
I just need something to get me started. That way I can save up for a better one. Thanks!!!

EmmaF

Hi all. Thanks so much for your thoughts! I can't run a compressor from another room, unfortunately. That would be great and would save a lot of cash on the compressor purchase. The California looks like a good budget option - a bit too noisy for my situation though. I heard back about the Jun-Air. They sound dreamy but they're eye-wateringly expensive. Around double the price of the Val-Air with shipping (Australia is so annoyingly far away from everything). Very few options for truly silent compressors here in Oz. I've just decided to bite the bullet at buy the Val-Air. Should give me another decade, I reckon. Thanks again for all your thoughts! Glad I've finally joined you all here :)

alwayslearning2012

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Just throwing this out there. I have a Graver mach AT. I bought a 6-gallon Rigid pancake compressor ( at the Home Depot) and it's working fine. It was a bit loud, so I built a noise dampening box to lower the sound and that helps. Thanks You tube. I do need to add some sort of cooling fan later. But it was only about $120.00 US out the door. I spoke to someone at Glendo about the output, they told me 50psi should work, but it didn't. I leave it at 75 output PSIG and It's doing great. Hope this helps. And I'm curious, Why didn't you opt for the AT? When I took my basic class at the training center, I was amazed at the amount of control you get over the graver in hand mode.

PS, If you happen to chat with Danny Ric, Tell him hello for me.

Last edited:

DaveatWeirs

If you're stuck for cash get a regular compressor with an oil filter and then later upgrade to a silent one. make sure you get a big tank on the regular one, that way when you eventually upgrade you can hook them up together and use the large tank as a reservoir AND you'll have a backup for when the silent one inevitably dies mid job that's due in the morning.

Sponsors