Where's me gold.....

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
hello Jason,very beautifull work,is it possible to know around how much you charge for an engraving like this
bye Rocco

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is some exquisite work Jason.

As usual, it is a pleasure to see it.

Laser welders sound ULTRA cool!

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jason,
I thought I understood overlay, but I'm not certain. My thinking was to open cavity for inlay, raise teeth, undercut edge, inlay material left proud for sculpting etc. same as a flush inlay. Most of my overlays are silver soldered in place, of course I can do it on the piece I'm making. But if I understand, you raise teeth, here is my confusion, are they on th esurface or below surface? I like the idea of the use of a laser in this application. In a more traditional manner would you still use sheet or would it be easier to use wire laid up.?
Mark
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

jfava

Wow... I've been working crazy holiday hours so I'm sorry for the delayed response.

Honestly this is the first time I've ever used it in a gun engraving application. I did use a tried and true overlay method that I just thought adding extra strength to wouldn't hurt especially when the wholesale cost of the gold was around $3000.

I have read many differing thoughts on terminology used to describe different techniques:

Mark,
What I refer to as overlay is exactly what the term describes. Sheet on the surface of steel. Teeth raised on the surface only. I do undercut the edges of all the individual leaves as well.

I think what you are referring to when you describe a traditional inlay with a thicker gold that sticks up would be called a "raised Inlay", but in the end it should look the same it just takes more gold to do it that way.

Personally, because I have a welder I didn't think it was necessary. If I didn't have one I would have probably went a different route.

The PUK is a great tool as well and very affordable in comparison.

LOL I didn't expect my post to become a laser thread, Thank you for your comments! :tiphat:

Stunning work. Truly top drawer.

On a job this time consuming, how do you schedule payment? I know I can't go several weeks without a payday.

jfava

Thank you Bailey.

I'm sure everyone does it a bit different, but I take a deposit down and then balance upon completion. Usually half down.

I've been working on this project for many months... I work on many different things at one time. I don't think I could work on a project like this straight from beginning to end. I honestly don't know how the guys who do physically do it... I guess I'm still figuring that out.
:tiphat:

I know what you mean. I have to take a break from very involved projects or I find myself procrastinating the days task.

I am anxious to see this gun blued. I am bringing this thread to the attention of a customer who writes for Double Gun Journal. I would love to see it published there.

All the best...

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Jason,
I thought I was the only ocd candidate out there. I also, will work on multple projects and this can drive some of my friends nuts. I equate it to a pool shooter, you see many steps ahead and plan each step.........I just look confused to those that may watch me work. I would find it very difficult to be that focused on one project for any great length of time. I find this to be normal behaviour. lol
Mark

www.MArkThomas-graver.com

Latest posts

Sponsors