Help, please: What to look for when building an engraving bench

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello,

I found a carpenter who is going to build me an engraving bench and wanted information on what it should or should not have.

Shape, height, etc. anything that has or has not worked for you.

pictures would be great

thanks

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There are several threads on engraving benches and setups ,have you thought about incorporating a drill press stand for a platform??This is a real bonus if you use a scope.

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
There are many threads already,check the search engine.
It will be an ongoing effort until you have enough experience to know what YOU need in an bench.

michael

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes I have but here in my town you don't see floor drill presses for sale (used) just the small table top presses.

Carlos De La O III

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really depends on the type of work you plan to do.

Jewelry engraving and stone setting has it's own demands for bench design.

Gun and knife engraving has it's own requirements.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will be different is you are engraving with H&C or power. Also if you expect to engrave rifle or shotgun barrels you have to consider room to maneuver the barrel around your work station or use a separate station for the barrels.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It will be different is you are engraving with H&C or power. Also if you expect to engrave rifle or shotgun barrels you have to consider room to maneuver the barrel around your work station or use a separate station for the barrels.

Roger power engraving...

I'm thinking something shaped in a form of a capital L with the lower part of the L to my right side with some draws for all my tools...and later buying a floor drill press (not sure which on just yet)

what do you think?

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos
I use a bench type drill press stand and even cut the main tube down to 26 inch off the floor, held down with about 225 ls of lead shot. got the drill press at sears on sale for 135 bucks, gave the drill head to the Salvation Army. Email me and i will sent a photo

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes I have but here in my town you don't see floor drill presses for sale (used) just the small table top presses.
I just went to craigslist.com. Scrolled down to Laredo, TX and clicked on it. On the left side, I typed drill press into the box. Got a zillion hits.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
The size of objects you are working on will determine your needs. I would plan on figuring a way to make it possible to raise or lower your block. I have two benches for my needs, doing everything from tiny jewelry to 24" tall trophies.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just went to craigslist.com. Scrolled down to Laredo, TX and clicked on it. On the left side, I typed drill press into the box. Got a zillion hits.

Only one comes up on the app..hmmm might be from neighboring cities

Going to have to check on my desktop. . Later on tonight .. it's blocked form work

Thanks

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Carlos,
I bought a cheap full size drill press from Harbor Freight, cut off the post, and sold the head to a buddy that was cobbling together some kind of concoction for working on rifle brass. Bought 2 tables about 2' x 3' from a salvage store for like 50 bucks each, bolted them to the wall, used a U bolt to bolt the top of the drill press stand to one of the tables. Done, for less than 200 bucks.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you're wanting to engrave guns, it should look something like this:

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~

Just checked, there not laredo they are the surrounding cities but there not close. .

Thanks for checking

Carlos De La O III

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I understand that you are planning on cutting guns. I don't really know about the setup for that, but I've used a drill press stand for engraving, and it is great... Unless you are working w gold. I've been trying to puzzle out a catchment system that will still let me snuggle up to my work with a .5 objective in:(

Latest posts

Sponsors