What material ist the „ceramic wheel“ made of?

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi,

I want to add a „ceramic“ wheel to my minihone. I use 50 mm wheels. Does anybody know what the original „ceramic wheel“ ist made of? The price suggests some high tec ceramic, like aluminum oxide or zirconium oxide. I could probably order a 50mm wheel made from such material to my specifications. Knowing which ceramic would help a lot…

Best regards,

Ralf

Archie Woodworth

Elite Cafe Member
I just use a brass or copper plate cut to same diameter as diamond wheel. Lay it on top of diamond grinding plate, turn on grinder, apply some diamond paste to it and polish graver. Lots cheaper than ceramic wheel.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think most people have switched to cast iron laps. I have a 6” diameter ceramic lap that I never use. New they’re now $397.00. Anyone care to make me an offer?

rweigel

Elite Cafe Member
France (north of Alsace, close to Germany)
Hi Archie,

I use currently a brass wheel for polishing with 0.5 um diamond paste. It works fine in 95% of the cases. Every now and then, a graver „bites“ into the brass surface. I choose the sense of rotation always so that the wheel moves away from the „keel“ of the graver. I was just curious how much better a ceramic wheel would polish.

Cheers

Ralf

Latest posts

Sponsors