What is Joe Rundell up to?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was working in my shop this evening, getting back into 10 hour days, when the phone rang. It was our colleague, Joe Rundell, engraver and sculptor. Joe and I have made a habit of staying in touch over the phone, however there has been a long gap since our last catch up, mostly because I have been out of action.

We know Joe has not been posting much on the Forum, mostly because he has been working flat out in his new and inspiring career… full time, life size sculptor ( and occasional engraver). We also missed Joe’s presence at the FEGA convention, over the last few days.

Starting at age 71, Joe taught himself clay sculpting. With just a few pieces in his portfolio, and rejected as an amateur by the local fine arts college, he nonetheless won the commission to sculpt, and have cast in bronze, many of the US auto industries' eminent business heroes, people like Chevrolet, Nash, Buick and others.

Tonight’s phone conversation filled me in and got me up to date. Once or twice in the past, I have posted on the Forum a short account of Joe’s work, and again he said he would really like it if I continued writing a word or two about the huge commissions stemming from his new career. Those who know Joe and have seen that fine gun of his, engraved and carved with ancient classical themes, know that carving was his natural talent. No need to look at his present work through a magnifying glass, its all life size now.

And no need for me to write an essay about Joe’s work, that has already been done in a great article, with slide show, published in the New Your Times. Here is the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/automobiles/a-sculptor-puts-auto-pioneers-back-on-their-feet.html#

In the last couple of years, Joe and his wife have moved into a large home built in the 1800’s, and are restoring it to its former grandeur. No longer cramped in his former tiny sculpting studio, now he has plenty of room to swing the proverbial cat. He works with no regular hours, just as the passion dictates, sometimes going on till the wee small hours, on such nights he will sleep late and breakfast with his wife at lunchtime... then back to his studio.

Its all written up in the ‘Times, enjoy, and let us wish him well!

Rod Cameron

Last edited:

Omar Haltam

Elite Cafe Member
very Happy for him, you have follow your dreams what ever stage of life you are in... because comes from the heart and not from age, I applaud him for following through with his dreams

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I truly miss seeing Joe at the FEGA conventions. He is a very talented engraver and now sculptor, but more importantly just a hell of a nice guy. I'm glad he's doing so well.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I feel partly to blame for Joe's transition from top tier gun engraver to sculptor. Several years ago we were having one of our long conversations where he was explaining his first sculpting commission. When Joe told me how many potential commissions he could have lined up, I opined that there won't be much time left for engraving. Joe said that was his dilemma. I told Joe, in all honesty, that if he succeeds as a sculptor, he will leave a far greater legacy for his family and the public as a sculptor than as a gun engraver. He seemed to agree and has mentioned that conversation to me more than once.

As much as we here love engraving and admire our top practitioners, the fact is that we are involved in a very obscure activity. How many of you occupational gun engravers have been asked what you do for a living then get that blank stare from the questioner after you answer and try to explain? If you said you were a sculptor who makes bronze statues, you would be viewed as a great artist. One of the reasons that I write books about engravers is in the hope of making our art less obscure.

By the way, I have learned not to tell people that I am an author because they jump to the conclusion that I write novels. I tell them that I am a technical writer.

Latest posts

Sponsors