What do you use for practice plates?

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Hello everyone,

I usually use the 2x2 or 2x4 practice plates from GRS...but have found that most knives and weapons I do rarely cut as easy as those plates. They are great for initial layout thoughts and the like but I was wondering if anyone had used other sources for plates?

Would a cold rolled steel of 1018 2x2 or 2x4by 1/4 to 3/8 thick be any good?

Additionally I've gone to local metal scrap yards and lucked out with some good steel and brass pieces but again a good steady supplier would be nice.

Any Help would be great.

Donny

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you're gonna run into all sorts of hard, soft, slag-ridden, gummy junk in the course of engraving guns, knives, & jewelry. why deny yourself all that fun in practice? ;)

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
There's probably some tool and die/machine shops in Phoenix. That would be a good place to check for scrap steel.

There might be some sheet metal suppliers there too.

Welding and fabrication shops might have scrap steel too.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If you want some really nice plate to work with, cronite in New Jersey is top notch.

I think the last time I order some 18ga 2x2 plates they were like $0.80 each. The cronite plates are the same stuff that GRS sells in the Advanced Drawing of scrolls Ron Smith kits.

It cuts really nice and doesn't rust up as fast as mild steel plates.

Last edited:

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Mitch...I know exactlllllllllly what you mean! :)

Bert...I will give those places a go of it...

Donny

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
you're gonna run into all sorts of hard, soft, slag-ridden, gummy junk in the course of engraving guns, knives, & jewelry. why deny yourself all that fun in practice? ;)

LOL!!! While at the steel suppliers, see if they have any stainless,that way you get a good dose of tool sharpening practice too!!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not to deny grs, or any other supplier- my local jy is a good source for me--being the cheapskate i am. last week scored a 22 pound copper sheet, 1/8" tk. a huge plate with many buckles or whatever-secretly waiting to come to life. some areas very clean, some would require going thru a series of grits .800 would be a good starting point with the scratched areas. the employees there know me and look out for my interests. cost me $12 bucks0 an excellent deal.

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
not to deny grs, or any other supplier- my local jy is a good source for me--being the cheapskate i am. last week scored a 22 pound copper sheet, 1/8" tk. a huge plate with many buckles or whatever-secretly waiting to come to life. some areas very clean, some would require going thru a series of grits .800 would be a good starting point with the scratched areas. the employees there know me and look out for my interests. cost me $12 bucks0 an excellent deal.

Now that is a SCORE :) I will still be hitting the few scrap yards here too...

Donny

Scottyd

Tira has some steel practice plates that are reasonably priced. Also check out speedymetals.com. They are also on eBay. They will cut whatever you want for free. Shipping is reasonable and they are great to work with. Too bad they don't have any 416 stainless.
Scott

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tira has some steel practice plates that are reasonably priced. Also check out speedymetals.com. They are also on eBay. They will cut whatever you want for free. Shipping is reasonable and they are great to work with. Too bad they don't have any 416 stainless.
Scott

Try Online Metals

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I live GRS, but the shipping minimum is HIGH. I've shipped shotguns for less than 10 gravers.

DevilDog

Whenever I go to Phoenix or Tucson, I always try to stop by Industrial Metal Supply. The Phoenix store is on 48th street (across from Tempe Diablo stadium). I usually tell the wife I will only be in the store for ten minutes. It nevers happens. They have a great selection of remnant metal to turn into practise plates. They have remnants in copper, brass, cold-rolled, stainless, etc. If you go, take gloves to dig in the scrap bins.

Shawn

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
DevilDog....I will give them a go this week..I work at the airport so I'm pretty close to that area.

Donny

Latest posts

Sponsors