What do ya'll charge for lettering?

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Hey ya'll, I did some lettering on a Julip cup for a friends son for graduation, then I just did a bible verse on a 1/4 in sterling bracelet for my sister for her birthday. Both free of course, but now three of my sisters friends want bible verse bracelets and another lady wants stuff on the bottom of a cup. Sam, did you tell me your normal rate was $7.00 per letter. I know I'm not Sam, but there were 49 letters in that bible verse. And on the bottom of the Julip cup were the kids initials, grandmama and grandpa on one side, the grad date on the other, and the three letters of the high school monogram on the bottom. I know the price goes down for more letters, but I was wondering ya'll would charge for something like those,

Thanks
Todd

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i engrave by hand, pantograph, cnc machine, and also with a laser. fee depends on a lot of variables. ex: most of my panto engraving is on mostly low end stuff-..21 cents ea. if i used the panto on-say a $400.00 watch back-- quite a bit more. i value my panto for quick layouts. i make my own templates for such work. i have several hundred from which to choose. logos, spines, lots of different stuff. nobody can tell you what to charge- again- probably many variables in what/how you do things. begin keeping a "time log" of everything you do. eventually your fees should evolve into a reasonable profit for your time, expenses, etc.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
A lot also depends on the surface. I charge $7/letter for inside ring and curved outside surfaces. That's for a basic script. It's more for fancy script, Old English etc. The size of the letters also comes into play.
I will be the first to admit that I am not the best letterer, but I do work at it and am getting both better and faster. I also am the only hand engraver in town...at least that the general public can find.
I also am willing to come down a little for a lot of letters, but most of the time people start adding up the numbers and decide they can get by with a lot fewer words.
Using an inside ring engraver we charge $25 for 15 letters, and have 2 fonts to choose from. We also charge $25 per line, for pantograph engraving with the flat machine. If it requires more than 3 lines there is an added charge for the additional set-up.
Our large pantograph is missing some parts so we can't do cylinders etc. Hope to get that fixed because we are among the few around that still do that!

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess it also depends on whether you are pricing for retail or trade.

In my way of pricing I make no difference between an retail or trade. That because it is the same job and I don't want to do it for less as my costs are the same.

I charge 5 euro a letter starting at a minimum of 15 euro. And like Marcus, if an amount of lettering, I make a special price. But I never tell customers what I charge/hour, I just estimate the time I will need. half an hour etc.

arnaud

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I guess it also depends on whether you are pricing for retail or trade.

In my way of pricing I make no difference between an retail or trade. That because it is the same job and I don't want to do it for less as my costs are the same.

I charge 5 euro a letter starting at a minimum of 15 euro. And like Marcus, if an amount of lettering, I make a special price. But I never tell customers what I charge/hour, I just estimate the time I will need. half an hour etc and just tell the price.

arnaud

Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
There is a date from 1930 on the price list, so I guess this was used throughout the 1930's.

Note the line about "Keystone Discount". That means you can only charge your non retail customers half the listed price.

Latest posts

Sponsors